A Family Forgotten

Come, brothers and sisters, share with us your tales, from before your joined to today! Tell us of yourself and your travels and travails! (IC Please, OOC labeled!)

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 am

Daavyd lay on a bunk, hull-side wrist and ankle bond. He scowled as Jashen entered and sat on a stool facing him. His eyes swam with anger and defiance. "Where do you intend to take me, sell-sword?" he spat out.

"Albion," Jashen said calmly, "and then home to your family, who love and miss you." He took out a blade and inspected it for damage and rust, producing a whet stone to rub out a touch of rust. "They'll help you sort this all out, what happened to you and all."

"I was home!" Daavrd snapped, jerking himself forward to the chain's limits. "I don't need my life or my mind sorted out by anyone!" He glared in helpless rage at the impassive mercenary.

"Then it'll go that much quicker for you, won't it?" Jashen said flatly, running the stone down the blades edge. "And you can get about whatever it is you wish to do."

"I wish to be at my manor!" came the petulant retort. "But you've seen fit to deny me home, hearth and companions for some fantastical statement about your precious Albion!"

"Not I, actually, but your sister."

"What sister?" he sneered, his mouth twisting viciously. "I have no sister!" He recoiled sharply as Jashen backhanded him, standing with a motion so swift it caused the stool to skitter away behind him.

"You have a sister, who loves a fool like you enough to ask such a favor!" His hand was raised again to strike him when he turned and spat on the floor. "Rot alone on that bunk until we reach Albion, cur. I'll waste no breath speaking to you!" He stormed out, slamming the door hard enough to rock the lantern next to it.

Daavyd stared at the doorway, curious for the first time he could recall about a family beyond what he had known. Something naggered at the edge of his awareness, a fleeting something upon which he could not focus.
Sarekonna
Brigade General ~ Skygge Verden

Postby Sarekonna » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:17 pm

Daavyd stared at the doorway for a moment longer after Jashen slammed it on him. His mind lingered on the Kyndale woman as he worked his jaw tasting the blood that came with the blow the mercenary had just delivered. He recalled meeting her in the halls of St. Crispin’s League. She had greeted him joyously until she realized something was not right. She had retreated from him quickly, and if he remembered it correctly she had left the hall in a state close to tears. He snarled to himself, what did he care? Anyone who loved him would not be forcing him back to Albion to have his mind “sorted out”. That he admitted worried him. His father had warned against sorcery and the penchant the practitioners of that art had for meddling in people’s mind. He was sure his father would be rolling over in his grave if he knew how Daavyd had hesitated to kill the sorcerer.

Not wishing to dwell on that any longer he thought of his own estates. The people he had entrusted his home with were capable and loyal to him. He need not worry that anything would fall behind in his absence. His man Brady would keep things in order, or make sure that someone did. He yanked at the chain securing his right wrist with a growl, he had worked hard to turn the lands into a functioning and profitable estate, he didn’t want to let someone else run it.

He closed his eyes and his inner vision was filled with the image of a half-ogre. He opened them and shifted uncomfortably, another thought he did not wish to dwell on. They had carried him across the sea chained to the hull of the boat much the same as he was now. Only before there had been no comfort of a bunk to lay on. He strained at the bonds again, Lord he did not wish to return to the lands of Albion.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:52 am

Judging by the meals that had been brought Daavyd theorized that about 3 days had passed. He had not seen much of his captors due mostly to his own petulance. The blonde one seemed angry with him while the other two were indifferent. However, the sorcerer had realized Daavyd’s discomfort at being in his presence and had taken the last several meals to him grinning sardonically at him each time.

They had docked he was certain. The boat seemed to be motionless and he had heard some shouting earlier. He tried to alter his position to ease some of the strain on his right shoulder. Cursing the injury, then his bonds, his abductors and finally Albion he stopped and waited. When the door finally opened the look of defiance and anger well practiced over the last few days was expressed perfectly over his features. Icy blue met steel grey as Jashen stepped just inside the room and leaned against the frame of the door.

Neither said anything as they stared at each other. Then as if he had come to some conclusion over these few moments Jashen said, “It’s time to go home Kyndale.”

This sent Daavyd into a rage. How dare they tell him where home was? He threw a few explicatives at Jashen who simply stepped further inside the doorway making room for 4 large sailors of the Michaelmas to follow. He handed the lead man the key to Daavyd’s chains. Daavyd froze at the sight of them. The half-ogre in the group had his full attention. Not again, was all he had time to think before they were on him. Flipping him over they made quick work of releasing him from the hull of the boat only to once again tie his hands securely behind his back.

Jashen was surprised by Daavyd’s silence. He had expected more of a fight from him. Briefly he wondered if he had gone a bit further than needed however, the idea of any chance of a set back or failure this close to victory was unacceptable. He wasn’t going to allow Mellyora to have any further stress or worry over the whereabouts of this one.

Once he was trussed up the half-ogre hefted Daavyd to his shoulder and went above deck where he was set on his feet. Kelvyn was waiting there for him and secured a large dark cloak around him covering his face with the hood.

He turned to Jashen who had followed Daavyd the half-ogre up. “This should protect the Kyndale’s from any scandal associated with this. The horses can’t teleport though, are you sure about this?”

Jashen nodded. It made since for him to take Daavyd to Tobyas in Camelot alone. He was often there and would draw less attention then if all three of them went. It was unfortunate about the horses though.

Moving up behind Daavyd he unsheathed his dagger and slid his hand under the cloak. Pulling Daavyd’s hands up he pressed the blade against his back. “I won’t kill you, but I know lots of ways to hurt you, badly. Do you understand?”

Daavyd nodded and with that answer, Jashen gave him a push in the direction they needed to go.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:06 pm

“I can not transport the unwilling.”

Jashen was frustrated by the conversation of ethics he was having with Master Aslin. He kicked Daavyd in the back of the knees forcing him to kneel, ignoring the grunt as Daavyd’s knees hit the hard packed earth.

He raised his hand dagger still in place with the hilt down ready to strike Daavyd with it and send him into oblivion. “You can still transport the unconscious though yes?” he growled.

“Wait, wait.” It was the first time Daavyd had spoken since leaving the ship. “I am not unwilling. Please…I won’t resist the transport.”

Jashen looked surprised but turned his raised brow towards Master Aslin who nodded. “Very well then.”

In a moment Daavyd felt the strange disorientation as he left one plane of existence for another. He had heard tales of folk being trapped between and he had no wish to become one of them. As the feeling became unbearable he suddenly was standing in Camelot. Jashen right behind him replaced the dagger under his cloak. He walked him quickly through the main area of Camelot but once they reached the shadow district he seemed to relax marginally. He pushed Daavyd a bit ahead of him no longer concealing the dagger.

“Keep moving.” He growled, “You don’t want to be caught here like this.”

Daavyd’s head pounded. Faint recollections of similar situations nagged at the corners of his mind. He had forgotten the headaches he had in Albion and longed already to return home. There he had no confusion or pain.

Jashen grasped his arm and pulled him through a small gate opening. It appeared that where ever they were going, even in the Shadow District, Jashen preferred the back entrances. Looking at the building ahead of him Daavyd again felt a sense of familiarity and thought it looked like a church.

“Where are you taking me?” it was the first time Jashen had heard curiosity in his voice rather than contempt but he was too irritated to mark it.

“It’s a little late for that question, now isn’t it.” With that for an answer he knocked the knocker on the door once.

The door was immediately opened as if they had been waiting for an arrival. Daavyd felt hands pull and shove simultaneously as he was brought through the great doorway. Again, he was forced to his knees and Jashen gripped his shoulder holding him in place as he spoke quietly to the other men.

Another door opened and finally someone spoke in a voice loud enough for Daavyd to hear. “Ah! Jashen dis is good. I trust there vas little trouble?”

Daavyd recognized the voice. He had started to tremble but more from the adrenalin racing through him than from fear. He forced himself to remain calm so he could listen. Jashen’s hand left his shoulder as he answered, “There was some but don’t worry…Kelvyn will fill you in.”

A few more words were exchanged and Daavyd heard Jashen take his leave then slip out. For some reason this worried Daavyd and again his heart started racing.

Tobyas murmured something reassuring in his native tongue as he moved to where Daavyd was kneeling. Placing a hand on his shoulder, Tobyas removed the hood that had been covering Daavyd’s face and lifted him back to his feet. His expression was kind and understanding as he searched Daavyd’s eyes for a moment he saw the anger and defiance giving way to fear and confusion.

“Welcome home Daavyd,” he spoke quietly though there was a firmness and determination behind his words, “dis IS where you belong.”

“But I don’t want to be here.” Daavyd felt small in the presence of this man and could not maintain his façade any longer.

“And for dat my friend, I am truly sorry.”
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 am

Mellyora sat at one of the large tables that lined the main floor of the guild hall. Carefully she restrung her harp and looked for any imperfections that may have appeared and would require attention from the smith. It was a fine instrument, but very delicate and required frequent, she frowned, and expensive care.

She was finding it increasingly difficult however to focus on the instrument. She had been both thrilled and relieved last night when Jashen had returned to the guild hall. She often worried about where he disappeared to when Crispian sent him on missions and she thought this no different. It was both a shock and comfort when she learned he had gone on the mission to retrieve her brother.

He had been certain to let her know that he had not gone for Daavyd but for her. She looked up a moment gazing out the window at small village of Glenn Abby. It had been lost on her at the time she was so overwhelmed by the news. She smiled her cheeks turning a slight pink color.

When she had first left the safety of her father’s keep with Thayor, Jashen was the only person she met who had confidence in her abilities. Thayor had been so eager to return her to the keep and Parkyr, she shrugged to herself, he hadn’t really cared either way at that time.

Jashen had taken the time, even before she chose the path as a minstrel to show her how to handle a blade.

“Care for a hunt M’lady?”

Mellyora jumped and spun in her seat her hand flying to her chest as she gasped, “Oh Jashen!”

He grinned back at her, “Deep in thought? Care to raid a tomb?”

She smiled back at him averting her eyes, “Well actually, I was going to head towards Cornwall.”

Jashen shook his head, “He’s not there Mellyora, Tobyas kept him in Camelot, and you shouldn’t go, remember?”

Mellyora looked down at her hands. “It’s just, I did this to him and I should be there.”

“Mel,” he reached down and turned her to face him his voice was quiet, “Mellyora, you did not do this to him. Vartan scum did this to him and right now, he will not appreciate your caring.”

She quickly brushed away a tear before it had a chance to fall hoping he didn’t notice. She stayed quiet but he offered her an escape. “A hunt then?”

She nodded, “Excellent idea.”
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:15 pm

CLANG

“I’m up!” Daavyd scrambled off his pallet “I’m up!”

Daavyd brushed past the smiling monk and through the dormitory where other monks were also heading the call of the prayer bell.

CLANG

It was dawn, Daavyd knew it should be dawn; he had begun to become accustomed to keeping track of the different bells. Despite the cold drizzle that kept the sun from telling the true time of day, Daavyd was sure it was dawn. Prayer, and then they would have their daily meal. The monks didn’t eat meat unless they were ill. The food was always the same, pottage made from vegetables the monks grew in the confines of the monastery walls.

Daavyd made sure to keep a brisk pace keeping himself just out of reach of his guardians. If he was good, they wouldn’t touch him. It was raining and miserable in the prayer yard but Daavyd didn’t let it stop him. He marched straight out into the rain and knelt in mud his head bowed. His companions, staying a respectful distance away from him did the same.

This was the longest prayer time of the day he thought as the monks began their chants. He didn’t dare lift his head or open his eyes though he wished to look up at the sky that was now shedding its tears on him. Hands opened and closed on the rough fabric of his breeches as he listened to the monks’ chants. It was the same rough material the monks’ robes were made of but, as he was not a monk and just a “long-term guest” he was not required to wear them. He was still required though to show his obedience and humility and therefore his garments were made from the same rough material.

He hoped he wouldn’t get sick again. In the first week he had been at the monastery he had taken a fever. The monks had blamed his total resistance to his situation though he had some thought it might have had something to do with their lack of care for the conditions of the weather. It had been raining that week too and he had still been required to kneel for hours in prayer and to work at digging their ditches. He had slept in the same muddy clothes he worked in and remained wet much of the time.

His hands slid from the breeches to the mud next to his knees. It would be another wet day that was certain. The monks had told him as he recovered that the first year would be the hardest. It took time to be accustomed to their lifestyle and he was not expected to have the hang of it immediately. He had let them know he had no intention of getting the hang of it, but there were expectations and he was not permitted to nay say them.

He had quickly learned however that if he did the things they asked, they mostly left him alone. In the last three weeks he had only let his temper get the best of him once. It infuriated him more that in their reprimands they were always kind and gentle though unyielding.

CLANG

The monks stopped chanting and it took him a moment to notice they were rising. He jumped to his feet. “I’m going!” he called out as one of the monks had been about to lift him by his arm.

He hurried towards the dining hall. He was hungry. This was one of the most difficult parts. One meal a day, he was always hungry. A bowl was placed in front of him but he didn’t move. All the monks’ heads were bent in silent prayer. During the meal no one would speak. Daavyd always waited until a few moments after the other monks had begun their meal before he touched his. He had made that error once as well, and he would not make it again.

CLANG

Meal time was over now was one of the labor portions of his day. He knew where to go, and again to avoid their touch he hurried to the work site his two guardians following close behind. One of the differences he noted here was that he was not expected to work while his guardians kept watch. They climbed into the ditch and worked right along with him. He had no idea what the work he was doing was for, but he knew they had almost completed it. For several hours they worked pausing on occasion for a drink of water or to wipe a brow from sweat and drizzle.

CLANG

Back to the prayer yard, most people took a meal around this time, but not here. Here the afternoon sustenance was prayer.

CLANG

Back to the ditch.

CLANG

Prayer.

CLANG

Finally he could return to his pallet. He collapsed on it face first. He did not change out of his soiled clothing. Monks slept in their attire and so did he. There was not enough time in the day to change clothing anyways. He was asleep instantly without a moment to consider his situation, what he had lost, who he was or any of the questions that normally consumed him. He was exhausted.

CLANG

He was never allowed more than 2 to 3 hours of sleep. He pushed himself up hoping the rain had ceased. It was time to pray.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Daavyd followed his guardians down the corridor. The brothers of the monastery worked hard but were generally of high spirits. As time passed, the walls had begun to feel less and less oppressive and Daavyd could feel the warmth of his environment. Despite the menial conditions in which they lived, it was a warm and welcoming place.

All that had recently been set aside for the somber pall of mourning. One of their own had passed away and, while they celebrated his release, he had been well liked by many who found his parting difficult. One of Daavyd’s guardians, Brother Mark, had taken it particularly hard and Daavyd realized that he actual had felt compassion for the man despite his own imprisonment.

They reached the small chapel where the funeral mass would be held. Brother Mark sat first, but Daavyd’s other guardian, Brother Jack, waited for Daavyd to sit taking the outer seat for himself. All three men knelt on the rail in front of them and bowed their heads. Daavyd relaxed and found his mind drifting as they waited for the service to begin. Occasionally he was brought back to reality by the quiet weeping of Brother Mark, but he still took advantage of the time to go over his own thoughts.

Eventually the priest began speaking. Comforting words aimed towards the Brothers of the monastery promising them the glory that their departed brother had now earned. Daavyd’s mind drifted again. He remembered something though he wasn’t sure what. A muscle spasm caused him to reach down and rub his leg vigorously for a moment. Brother Mark gave him an irritated look but said nothing. The look however was not lost on Daavyd and he quickly resumed his posture of prayer. He listened again to the words of the priest until the nagging memory asserted itself again. In his mind he saw a little girl, wild blonde curls covered her head, and she wept.

Daavyd’s stomach heaved and he covered his mouth forcing back the reflex. Brother Mark hissed something at him and he mumbled an apology. He closed his eyes and slowed his breathing, taking slow and steady breaths. His stomach still threatened and the memory was still at the brink of recollection. This one seemed important to him though and he was unwilling to let it drift away. He called back the image of the girl. She was hugging him tightly and sobbing. He was crying too. He looked up as someone lifted the girl away from him. His father wrapped her in his arms for a moment then shifted her to one side freeing a hand for his son which he placed on his small shoulder.

Again Daavyd’s stomach heaved, the contents of it landing in front of him. Brother Mark was so angry he raised his hand to strike Daavyd. Daavyd oblivious to anything going on around him was saved by Brother Jack’s quick movement as he reached out and caught Brother Mark before he could strike.

“He’s doing it on purpose!” Brother Mark hissed at Brother Jack.

“I don’t think so,” Brother Jack answered calmly, “but don’t worry, you stay here and I’ll take care of it.”

With that he all but lifted Daavyd to his feet and escorted him quickly from the chapel.
Last edited by Sarekonna on Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarekonna

Postby Crispian » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:45 pm

Tobyas sat in the sanctuary and watched as Daavyd was hustled from the chapel again. It was not the first time that he had seen the Kyndale lad become suddenly ill. The serenpeditous humor of the victim monk also registered. Toby smoothed his stole as he listened to the surmon go on but his mind was quickly focusing on the Daavyd matter.

There were instances that this occured, Toby realized as he thought back over the weeks that Daavyd had been with them at the monastery. He recieved daily updates and had made a point of attending mass and liturgy of the hours since assigning Daavyd to recover here.

He pondered what the physical manifestitation might mask and drew so deep in thought he almost missed the beginning of the next part of the liturgy, jumping to his feet as the prayers began.
Crispian Pontiff, Precentor, St. Crispin's League

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother" Henry V
Crispian
Warlord Central Staff
Warlord Central Staff

by Sarekonna and Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Daavyd rested his head against the cool stone that made up the far wall of the small chamber he had been left in. He steadied his breathing as he focused on controlling the muscles in his body. He had an ability to create shields to protect himself. He didn’t know where from, or who had taught him but he tried now to protect the images. He didn’t want to lose them. Carefully he surrounded the image that was causing him pain, though it was still difficult. He was tired. The experience was dragging him down and he felt as if he was suddenly battling exhaustion. Something wanted him to sleep. He knew however once he gave in to sleep, the image would vanish.

The door creaked open and he realized he was quickly losing his chances at any kind of revelation.

“Daavyd?”

The voice was familiar. He opened his eyes and his stomach instantly convulsed drawing his attention away from the visitor and back to gaining control of his own misery.

Tobyas caught the look of startled recognition that went much deeper than the last few months before Daavyd was seized again by whatever had hold of him. Quietly Tobyas went to him and crouched down in front of him. He did not touch him, but the healing forces he possessed passed between them none the less. Finally, he spoke.

“Daavyd? What is happening?”

Daavyd did not answer and after a few moments Tobyas realized that Daavyd had passed out against the wall. No doubt because of the healing energy he had emanated.

Tobyas quietly left the chamber after settling Daavyd into a more comfortable position. He walked down the narrow halls of the monastery and into the sheltered courtyard where his mount rested.

It was with practiced ease that he mounted and turned the head of the beast toward the wrought gate that gave way into the city. He steered with knees and allowed his mind to drift toward the matter he had just witnessed.

There was a determined manner in Daavyd's expression that spoke of control but also gave evidence to conflict, turmoil that he must be experiencing within, and this fixated the cleric's mind as he rode.

He reigned in at the rectory still immersed in thought so intense his aides did not try to distract. With confidence and no small measure of control he strode through the nearly palatial compound to his own chambers, closing the door with a snap of his wrist so hard the wood reverberated as jamb met door.

Crossing quickly to his desk, he sat and ran his hands along the edge of the top, pressing several wooden fixtures as he did so. The combination finished, a small panel opened behind the desk and he turned toward it.

Reaching inside, he lifted forth two tomes, weathered covers speaking of their age.

Each was black with faded gold lettering on the front in script rarely seen in Albion, but often seen by the green eyes that scanned through pages, deftly flipping pages with one hand as the index finger of the other ran down a codex of some sort, notes made in margins that identified passages and groups of paragraphs.

Finally, the moving hand came to rest, as the flipping hand trembled slightly. The weathered face of warrior-priest paled slightly as he paused and read more in-depth. A slight oath escaped him as he sat back.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:29 pm

It was several days before Daavyd was cognizant enough to register his surroundings. He was in a small room sitting in a fairly comfortable chair next to an actual bed. As if he were elderly, a small throw was draped across his legs to help keep him warm. He no longer wore the coarse garments he had since coming to the monastery. The leggings and tunic he now wore resembled more closely what he had been use to at his estate. In the back corner of the room, really only a few feet a way in the small space, Brother Jack was reading aloud.

He let the words drone on around him. His mind was empty but slowly, he was recalling things from his father Pravidus as if they were being fed to him. He recalled a thought for a moment, but only long enough to know that he could recall and then he forgot it again. Content to listen as the monk attempted to save his soul. Most feared him here now, but not Brother Jack.

“My Lord?” Jack was no longer reading and he had removed Daavyd’s throw, helping him to his feet. The way he addressed Daavyd was another clue that the monks no longer were trying to get Daavyd to fit in. Daavyd allowed himself as usual to be guided down the corridors focusing more internally than on anything external. He had caught a few glimpses from the brothers and preferred not to see them.

When they stepped out into the light of day, Daavyd held back and Brother Jack gently encouraged him to move forward. There was a carriage waiting, “It is time for you to go, do not fear it.” Jack spoke softly as if he were addressing a child.

Daavyd did fear it though. He was use to the monastery now and didn’t want things to change while he tried to sort through the turmoil in his mind.

From inside the carriage, Tobyas saw Daavyd’s hesitation. Unsure if it would help or hinder he opened the door and stepped out. Fear of the unknown always made situations worse.

“Daavyd, my friend, ve are not traveling very far, just back to my home.” He smiled reassuringly. From what he had read, he realized that things could get very tricky. It was even possible that the stress of forcing him to return to Albion could prove fatal, an outcome no one wanted.

At the sight of Tobyas, Daavyd relaxed and again allowed himself to be guided. There was almost an audible sigh of relief from Brother Jack as custodianship of Daavyd was passed from himself over to Tobyas. Tobyas made sure Daavyd was comfortably seated before taking his own seat across from him.

“You have a guest Daavyd, she is vaiting for you at my home.” He smiled indicating what reaction Daavyd should have to the news but wondering non-the-less what his reaction would be.

Panic.

“Oh,” he stammered almost losing all focus on his thoughts, “no, please Father, I can’t see her.”

Tobyas smiled again, “Not your sister Mellyora, someone else. Trust me Daavyd.”
Sarekonna

written by Crispian and Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Tobyas led Daavyd through the courtyard that the outer wall of the compound hid from the run-down areas of the Shadow Quarter. His years as Prelate at the Church told in the clealiness of the area, even with the less-washed urchins who milled about. Many greeted the priest with a wave before returning to studies and other tasks.

"I am certain you are relieved to be in changed setting, yes?" he asked as they turned into his residential suites, set above the courtyard with a private stair access. "The monastery can be overly confining for you, I think."

A novice, clad head to toe in the long black cassock of the Eastern orders, opened the limed door to Tobyas' private study with a bow as the two passed him. "Ah, my Lady Sarekonna! I trust the journey from Avalon Marsh was pleasant?" Tobyas said with a smile as he crossed to kiss the hand of the noble lady rising as he spoke from a divan.

Sarekonna returned his smile with a warm one of her own although the young Kyndale already held her attention. “Yes, it was pleasant to escape my studies. Lord Kyndale, it is good to see you again.”

Daavyd failed to respond so immersed in his own thoughts that the now unfamiliar name did not even register to him. Finally Sarekonna tore her gaze from him and addressed Tobyas.

“How long has he been like this?”

Tobyas frowned, thinking, “Since Brother John passed away. It vas during the service he had a break down and was ill. I vent to see him after and he knew me, but was not well. He has been declining since.”

Sarekonna nodded turning her attention back to Daavyd, “Daavyd? Will you come and sit?”

Daavyd seemed to return to himself. Looking around the room, his eyes showed the alarm he felt when they fell on Sarekonna. Tobyas stepped forward quickly grasping Daavyd by the arm and ushering him to a comfortable seat. The less time Daavyd had to contemplate any of this, the easier it would be.

Daavyd cooperated and as soon as Sarekonna was out of sight, it was as if he forgot her existence. Something in his own mind held his interest more fully.

Sarekonna’s eyes were wet with unshed eyes, and Tobyas knew this was difficult for her. It was her very conflict of conscience and the fact that she had worked with Daavyd before however that assured him she would be careful with a fragile mind.

She stepped behind Daavyd, her fingers sliding into his hair to rest at the base of his head. Daavyd murmured a small sound as Sarekonna delved into his mind and took control.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Sarekonna took a moment to gather her resolve before she forced herself into Daavyd’s mind. Very few people agreed to this kind of intrusion freely and while she was guilty of subduing the wills of other beings for the safety of her home and realm, never had she gone to this depth in an unwilling mind.

The first thing she noticed were the amount of shields Daavyd had created for his mind. Something she herself had taught him when it was first discovered there was a threat against him. What she noted about them now was the disorganization. Placed in a half-hazard fashion, some had been all but destroyed and yet Daavyd had never rebuilt or removed them. They cluttered his mind like children’s toys with no structure to their placement.

Knowing the nature of the spell, she was able to move them aside rather than breakdown his barriers. Breaking them down would cause him harm, and she hoped to leave him with as little trauma as possible. Sensing her intrusion, Daavyd tried to counter with more shields but she brushed them aside effortlessly and slipped inside, a thin strand of her own power forcing them to remain open while she was in.

Once in everything was silent. Daavyd? She tried to be gentle, but he recoiled from her mind’s touch. His reaction directed her to his consciousness and she honed in on it. Isolating him from any other senses she forced him to focus only on her. A rush of power flowed through her and she struggled a moment to keep her perspective. It was so easy to let yourself go to the feeling of power controlling other minds gave you, it was why so many sorcerers had lost their way, and why there was such a distrust of them.

Daavyd, she filled her being with compassion and comfort as she communicated with him, I am here to help you, I will take nothing from you, and I will not force you to do anything you do not wish to do.
She felt a surge of red anger from him and smiled to herself. She remembered that temper, and it was good to see it had not been completely extinguished. The effort he put forth on the emotion drained him though, and made him more manageable. She pulled him close to her so he could see what she was doing as she began to peel back the layers of his mind.

He resisted and she had to be careful. Her own emotions were raw from this experience. Having gone through something similar, she knew the torment of an unwelcome guest, and it would make sense that Daavyd had two now. She had to be careful her emotions did not interfere with her work and that she left no part of herself behind to further cloud his reasoning and judgment.

As she delved deeper and deeper into his mind, she began to worry. Other than the abundance of battered shields he had at the onset, nothing seemed out of place. She did not dare to delve much further but she was reluctant to return to Tobyas with news that nothing was amiss in Daavyd Kyndale’s mind. In the moment she was about to give up, and start the process of carefully removing herself, she saw another cluster of shields.

What is it? She had been in long enough that he no longer could resist her will and he answered without hesitation.

Where I hide things. The answer was simple yet she could feel the mental shrug and knew he didn’t know what was behind the shields.

We will need to look and see what is in there Daavyd.

She felt him immediately resist. It surprised her and she repositioned herself to exert more force on his will, until she felt his fear.

What is it? What are you afraid of?

Again she felt his emotions more than communicated with words and she could see he was afraid of losing what was protected behind the shield. She sent him what energy she could spare to bolster his confidence and build his trust in her. When she was done she had his shaky trust that she would not allow anything to be taken from him.

He couldn’t remove the shields however, so again, carefully, she moved them aside. The force of what was hidden behind those shields hit them both so hard that Sarekonna almost lost her connection with Daavyd. Behind the shields was everything that was Daavyd Kyndale.

Why? She was dumbfounded, Why would you lock this away from yourself and be someone you’re not?

Daavyd had nothing to say. Overwhelmed at first by the extent of everything flooding back into him and then by the knowledge of what was about to happen. Sarekonna got just the slightest hint of it and had just enough time to release Daavyd’s shields and allow them to close protectively back around what he had been hiding.

A blinding light ripped into Daavyd’s mind and she felt the tear and pain that went with it. A hundred times more brutal than she could ever be as it’s glowing fingers reached in. She had a mental image of glowing tendrils wrapping themselves around Daavyd’s neck and she knew he couldn’t breath. Daavyd was struggling to hold on to himself and was fighting the attack. Every time he remembered himself, it was harder and harder to let it go to the force that ravaged him. Every time it attacked it was more brutal and Sarekonna could see that this was going to eventually kill him. She felt Daavyd reaching out to her, Help me Lady Sarekonna. He knew her! Daavyd struggled and again she had the mental image of him being tangled in the tendrils of light, being subdued and forced to submit to something else’s will.

She tightened her resolved, and turned her attention on the glowing tangle of tendrils. Now that it was finally revealed, she had to work quickly to see if she could counteract it. It was plain to her that her power clearly exceeded the invading force. Her knowledge however did not. In the few moments she took trying to untangle the web she realized that her years of shunning her own gifts, thinking that they would turn her into a monster, now would prevent her from being able to help Daavyd on her own. In the few moments she realized what she needed to do, but she could not do it now.

Warmly, she embraced Daavyd, promised to return but then left him alone with his struggle.

Tobyas watched anxiously as Daavyd’s hands balled into fists and he gasped unsuccessfully for air. He knew this meant Sarekonna had found something. He trusted she knew the peril Daavyd was in and he did nothing to interfere. Finally her eyes opened and she released Daavyd who promptly crumpled forward. Tobyas had been ready and caught him easily, lowering him down to the floor as he looked up at Sarekonna.

She was silent staring blankly ahead tears streaming down her face.

“Sara?” There was no reply. He took her arm shaking it gently and repeating her name, “Sara, what is it?” his accent was thick giving away his anxiety.

She swayed and he cursed heavily as he lifted her off her feet into his arms. He shouted for the cleric who had greeted him and Daavyd on their arrival. “I knew dis vould be a mistake.” He muttered.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:13 am

Sarekonna sprang from the lounge she was resting on. She was on her feet, out the door and half way down the hall when she collided with Tobyas and gave her mind time to catch up.

“Lady Sarekonna!” he was clearly surprised to see her up already. “Vhere are you rushing too?”

She blushed. “I…” she held up a finger, needing a moment to fill herself and her legs in on where they were going. She nodded to herself, “yes” again to herself before she looked back to Tobyas. She blushed again even darker if it were possible. “I need to go to the academy. I know what’s wrong, but I can’t help him because I blocked those abilities from my mind.” Her hand slipped into her pocket to reassure herself she had brought the stones. Valuable stones that Mellyora had risked her life to acquire in hopes that Sarekonna might help her brother. She had been a coward though and now Daavyd might die because of it. If he did, she would leave and no one would ever see her again. She would not be responsible for the League losing anyone else.

Tobyas looked hopeful, “Aye? I will get an escort!” He turned to leave but she grabbed his hand.

“No Toby,” she smiled and kissed his cheek, “I can get there faster on my own.”

--------

Daavyd was dimly aware of being lifted from the floor and taken to a room washed in candle light. Clerics were blessing the room and Daavyd was pleased as he realized he would be passing on soon.

The clawing intrusion, something deeper than before kept him from being able to focus on the outside room. Something was trying to get in and he was doing his best to keep it out for as long as he could, though in the end he knew he would lose the battle.

He heard his name spoken softly but with firmness. While it was difficult, he felt compelled to obey and forced his eyes to focus on the clear green eyes of Father Tobyas.

He wanted to tell Tobyas that it was alright and to thank him and to ask for his family, but he couldn’t speak. Tobyas could see Daavyd was there, the recognition and connection was as if the past two years had never taken place. Tobyas’ hand pressed against Daavyd’s forehead, fury masking the concern Daavyd wanted to ease away. “Fever.”

He bared Daavyd’s chest and placed both hands firmly against his skin. “Use my strength Daavyd, do not give up.”

---

Daavyd was not a magic user. He had learned a few tricks over the years, defensive tricks mostly, but in the end, he was not a match for a persistent sorcerer. Finally his shields crumbled and the ragged edges he had been attempting to seam together, ripped apart.

He screamed silently as the intruder forced his way in and the snake like tendrils once again wrapped around him.

Well now lad, what mess have you made here? Daavyd was surprised by the gentle nature of the voice and even more surprised when he felt as if his hair was being ruffled. He didn’t answer though. Instead he was putting all his energy into expelling the intruder and protecting his identity. He would not forget himself again.

How did your father let this happen? The sorcerer was more musing to himself as he poked around oblivious to Daavyd’s agony as he struggled against the tendrils of light.

He stopped suddenly and there was a feeling of a deep breath and Daavyd felt as if every part of his being was being touched and explored. His body shuddered and trembled as he felt the husky voice of the sorcerer, Do you know how intoxicating it is to control a mind? The sorcerer inhaled again breathing in every bit of Daavyd’s essence he could until a surge of power came from Daavyd’s core warding him off. Daavyd grasped onto the power surrounding himself with it creating a barrier between himself and the intruder.

The sorcerer shook it off. Well, I got a little carried away there. No use in hiding. He was poking again, You’re suppose to have a fear of sorcerery, yes, there it is, he poked at it and Daavyd felt the fear so intensely he wanted to be sick, yes, as good as the day we created it, so what possessed you to allow that little girl in your head? More poking, Ahhh, not exactly of your choosing I see. Y our father is going to pay a hefty price if he wants to see this damage repaired. Especially if I have to do it from this distance!

This caught Daavyd’s attention, supported by the power that had suddenly surged through him, he was able to work on a defense and speak at the same time.

My father is dead. He flinched at the mix of memories in his mind. He wasn’t able to sort out the truth from implanted, but even though he felt Pravidus was his father, he knew now it was not true. No one will pay you anything for this!

The sorcerer was clearly taken aback, even withdrawing a little allowing Daavyd a reprieve and more time to work his defense. He had a moment of regret knowing the people outside his body were willing him to fight this and live. He fully knew he would fight this and die and that was ok. His only regret was that he would not be able to let his friends and family know he chose to die a Kyndale rather than live as a Vartan.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:23 pm

The Shadow Quarter had a way of spreading news that was unparallel in any other part of Camelot. Not even the gossip mongers of King Constantine’s court could hold a candle to the urchins who skulked around the less savory areas of the great city of Camelot.

While Tobyas hoped the worst would not come pass he knew it would be unfair to continue to keep Mellyora away. The rest of her family was too far away to summon in time but she would need support. He had just seen Sarekonna off on her mission and was making his way to his office when Nikolia met him in the hall escorting a dirty young lad Tobyas knew well. Tobyas nodded to his cousin, thankful he had had the foresight to meet him rather than have the lad wait until Tobyas had reached his office. He reached out his hand and the boy made a rush to kiss his hand. Tobyas smiled, though he had never appreciated this formality himself, he understood the need some held for it. Quietly he whispered to the child, “Find Lord Jashen, let him know Lady Mellyora needs to be here as quickly as possible. This is very important!”

The child nodded wide eyes showing he understood the importance of what he was being asked to do. He’d been asked to find a Lord! Granted this particular Lord spent much of his time in the Shadow Quarter, but still! He rushed off to do his bidding.

-----

Mellyora sat at a large wooden desk in her office at the guild hall. She ran her hand across the wood idly admiring the intricate working of the wood. She could almost feel warmth emanating from it and she certainly recalled the love with which it had been gifted. She smiled fondly recalling the day she had been given the official chain of office and the excitement as the other guild masters had had their gift to her delivered.

It was very extravagant. Much more than she needed and her small frame was lost sitting at it. Given all that, she would not have traded it for anything in the world. Still smiling she sat back to examine the scroll she had been working on.

A knock at her door drew her attention. She smiled, excited to have a visitor when the guild hall had been empty far too often lately. Her smile brightened when she saw Jashen, only to have it melt away immediately when she saw the grave expression on his face.

“What?” she jumped to her feet, “What is it? Are you…” A finger to his lips cut her off.

“Hush and get your cloak. Tobyas has summoned you Melly.”
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 pm

Fear like she had never known thumped in her chest. Her hands were like ice as she clasped them tightly around Jashen’s left arm. Absently, he rubbed them with his free hand in an attempt to warm them as he guided her into the room behind Nikolia.

For the first time in nearly a year Mellyora saw her brother. His form was still, his skin an ashen grey as he stared blankly into the ceiling of the room. Only the sweat dampening his brow and hair belied the look of death. That and Father Tobyas. He looked as bad as Daavyd. Stripped of his robes and covered in sweat it was clear he was taking on whatever was afflicting Daavyd as he pressed his hands into Daavyd’s chest and continued to pray.

Mellyora released Jashen and he rubbed the circulation back into his arm. She had brought her harp out of habit and she removed it now from her pack. It was impossible for her to sit and do nothing, yet there was nothing for her to do here. Unable to sit and watch as her brother died she would do what had always come natural. Sing.

Setting herself in the corner of the room where she would be in no one’s way she began to pull her fingers against the strings of the instrument. These were not the sounds her realm mates had become accustomed to hearing from her harp. They were not the march to battle or the shouts to inflict damage. Intricate and delicate the tune was strangely familiar and yet not. Jashen was caught off guard as she began to sing in a language he did not understand. Despite this, the words were soothing to all in the room while bolstering courage at the same time. Mellyora only hoped that her reworking of the lullaby her Mother had sung to her and Daavyd as children would reach him and grant him peace.

---

The Academy actually was not very far at all from the Shadow Quarter. Aided by her own spells she was there in a matter of minutes. She rushed through the court yard smiling at the young alchemists and spell crafters who busied themselves in the corner cringing as there was a large explosion of a spell gone wrong. They were use to that sort of thing however and seemed to have the situation well in hand. She was grateful for that having no time to aid in that situation.

As she entered the main floor of the Academy she smiled a greeting to Master Grundelth before turning to greet Magess Cormac. A brief twinge of regret caught in her heart wishing that Magus Cormac was still teaching at the Academy and could give her this final training, or barring that, that she could return home to Lord Adribard’s Retreat to train with Magus Edaev. It took only a brief moment to recall the day Magus Edaev had sent her on to Camelot to continue her training with Magus Cormac. A day that changed her life in so many ways.

A squeak of surprise escaped her as she completed her turn and saw Magus Edaev in conference with Magess Cormac. He had only a moment to prepare himself before Sarekonna flung herself into his arms. He laughed a warm rich laugh as he caught her up in his embrace and stroked her hair gently, “Sara, Sara. What brings you to the Academy my dear?”

Sarekonna wanted to ask him the same thing, but she didn’t have time so instead she pulled on of the Luminescent Exerpise stones from her pocket in answer. Magus Edaev raised a brow only a bit surprised. “You wish to unblock the powers you banished before?”

She nodded handing him the stone but he did not accept it immediately. “Are you sure Sara? It was a difficult decision for you to give up your advanced training. That was a dark time in your life and I do not enjoy seeing you so conflicted.”

She hugged him again. Many men had laid claim to being her father, but this man, while she never called him father was her true father and she loved him dearly. The fact that he was here made her decision all the more clear to her. “Daavyd Kyndale is in trouble, and I know I can help him. I also realize that I do not have to let the power control me. I will use it the way I want to use it and in a way I know is good. If that conflicts with what others expect me to do,” she shrugged, “then so be it.”

Magus Edaev smiled a truly warm smile. “I will never fear this power in your hands Sara.”

---

Well then, the sorcerer’s voice turned husky again, no reason to be gentle any longer. He chuckled and it made Daavyd’s core ache. Daavyd had chosen to keep himself whole at any cost and he paid it now. Every part of him the sorcerer could get at he did now in an attempt to get Daavyd to stretch out his protection. Daavyd remained solid in his resolve but when the sorcerer eventually found the memories he had been shielding, it was a blow.

What is this? The glee in his voice was unmistakable like a child in a candy shop. The sorcerer began peeling away the layers of shielding and Daavyd did not resist it. He kept his focus where it needed to be, though it became more and more difficult as the flood of memories washed over him a true grief seized him as he realized what he had lost over the last few years.

The sorcerer also became more subdued. He was solemn as if just realizing he had done a terrible thing. It is time for this to be over. You will come to me now, or you will die.

This was what Daavyd had been waiting for and he was ready. Death would be a welcome peace after all of this. He had the sudden feeling of the sorcerer at the back of his neck whispering against his skin. I will consume everything you are as you breath your last breath. There was a mental shiver and Daavyd felt the tendrils that had been binding him tighten and wrap again around his neck constricting his breath. He let the power he had wrapped himself in ease the suffering. He reminded himself he was not afraid to die and he did his best not to struggle.

Then suddenly everything went slack and a cool soothing voice spoke. I am back Daavyd, and it will be over soon.

The sorcerer was shocked, the young sorceress has returned and nothing had notified him. Neither he or Daavyd had felt her intrude. You do not have the knowledge to stop me. He challenged her though he was worried.

No? In an instant she severed his tie to the mass of light he’d been tormenting Daavyd with over the past years. It took her concentration to keep her mind on the sorcerer while she dissipated the energy safely, but she was able to manage it much to his surprise.

Her presence grew dark and menacing. You will never do this to another being again. The words were stated with a measure of calmness, more as if they were a matter of fact than anything else. I will push you all the way back to the small brain you dwell in and make sure you never utter another magical word…ever.

Another presence was suddenly felt. Daavyd’s mind swam with all the intrusion though this one was easier to bear. It had floated in on Sarekonna’s own energy for just that reason. Magus Edaev checked Sarekonna from releasing her spell as he examined the sorcerer. Send him back yes, but we will deal with Magus Denrick later.

The last impression from the sorcerer as he was forced from Daavyd’s mind was the shock and fear he felt over having his identity uncovered. Sarekonna immediately began repairing what she could with Magus Edaev’s help to insure there would be little chance of a return. She forced Daavyd to see where he would be weak encouraging him to endure just a little more. Together she and Magus Edaev helped Daavyd to dismantle shields that had long been damaged or were not needed. Finally she addressed the power Daavyd had seized on to, You can release this now Daavyd, you do not need it anymore and your friend can not continue to provide it much longer.

He released it and it slipped away, just as he also began to slip away. Sarekonna smiled, Peace now Daavyd, we will welcome you back when you return to us.

With that comment she slipped out of his mind with Magus Edaev and for the first time in years Daavyd was finally alone in his own mind. He slept.

---

Mellyora sat in the big chair at Daavyd’s bedside with her legs pulled up to her chest wrapped in her dressing gown. He slept peacefully, much as he had done for the last several days. Most everyone had left now. Lady Sarekonna and Magus Edaev being the last to leave yesterday. Lady Sarekonna had assured her again that Daavyd would soon be well just as Father Tobyas was.

When the connection between Daavyd and Tobyas had broken, Tobyas had collapsed and carried with him the same symptoms Daavyd had had. A fever, shallowness of breath, pale grey skin, he had in effect taken on as much of what was ailing Daavyd as he could. He had finally come in to see Daavyd this morning and Mellyora hoped it meant that Daavyd too would soon be awake.

Jashen too had left, though he promised that less time would pass before she saw him again. Once the crisis had passes, things had grown awkward between them. She wasn’t sure why and it worried her a little as he had always been one of her closest friends. She had wanted to focus on Daavyd though, so she had pushed it out of her mind and made it easy for him to depart.

Daavyd made a small noise and Mellyora sat up. She was unsure if he was truly rousing or if he merely needed some water. His eyes blinked open and he turned his head to look at her. Her own voice caught in her throat as she waited to see what he would say if anything, still finding it a little difficult to believe that all was well now.

He grinned, “Mel? What are you doing in your dressing gown?”

“Oh Daavyd,” she smiled a bright smile though tears began to stream down her cheeks as she reached out to brush a stray lock of hair from his face, “welcome home my dear brother.”

OMG THE END
Sarekonna

Previous

Return to The Lord's Arse