A Family Forgotten

Come, brothers and sisters, share with us your tales, from before your joined to today! Tell us of yourself and your travels and travails! (IC Please, OOC labeled!)

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:54 pm

The inconnu turned his face toward the pair again. "Amore, pink skin?" His lips lifted in what could have been smirk or sneer. "A powerful magic that can be, much more so than the clacking of aurulite in a satchel or gold in a chest." His eyes shot to the assassin, who was now grinning in the dark. "But it can lead to foolishness, and my magics leave no time for sentimentalism or moon-cowing. When I say, you must act swiftly."

Jashen felt his cheeks warm and was very glad of the darkness in the clearing. "What if it is for affection for Mistress Kyndale? Hm? She has been like a sister to me during her squireship and training." He yanked a jambiya from its scabbard and set a whetstone forcefully to its edge. "And the Kyndales are a good clan to have on our side, especially in councils and at court."

Kelvyn laughed, a deep, dry chuckle. "Of course, of course, that is it, Briton!" He smiled and his eyes narrowed from the width of it. "And the Hammerfels make good allies as well!" He continued laughing, getting a little louder as he did. "Neither you nor Crispian can face falling in love can you? It's as ridiculous to frame this so as for Cris to call Azi an able officer of the League while his eyes vacate thought when he first sees her! You feel much for Mellyora, and couch it in words of function!"

The warmth was now a blaze that crept into his hair line and warmed the tips of his ears. "I've no interest in romantic entanglements!" he snapped, throwing blade and stone to ground as he stood. "There's too much risk in what I do for the League to have..." he turned from the Saracen, scowling into the deepening night, "a courtship."
Sarekonna
Brigade General ~ Skygge Verden

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:53 am

Kelvyn chuckled again, a short, sharp sound. "Why do you put things in such terms? Hm? A shield for yourself or against yourself?" He began to carefully dip arrows into a clay pot which he unstoppered. "I tell you what I think. I think you are more scared of being open and honest about this because it means leaving your spot as our resident charmer, and would mean investing yourself in someone other than your brother." His keen eyes met Jashen's frosting gray. "And this is something you don't know how to do."

Jashen scowled in the darkness, but his retort was pre-empted by the Inconnu standing. "We have a sea voyage where we can debate the state of Master Pontiff's heart," he said in his clipped accent. "Now, I'm sure his paramour would appreciate our attention to her brother, yes?" It was not a question as much as a statement and both men stood and finished preparations. "You have 30 seconds or so from when I first ensorcel the gatemen to get to them and inside, after that things will liven up some."

The glint in the sorcerer's dark eyes spoke that interesting was just one way to view what might happen in the minutes ahead.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:56 am

The inconnu led off through the copse of woods toward the building that sat beyond it. Even armed as they were, little noise was made from their cautious passage. Pausing where the trees thinned, all three peered into the darkness between them and the building. It seemed a sleepy image, one that could perhaps be captured by a painter as an idyllic sense of rural prosperity. The pools of light from the open doorways were golden against the velvet blackness that engulfed all beyond them.

Kelvyn raised his hand and motioned toward the building slowly. They moved into the clearing, senses heightened to any threat that may be present. When they had closed about half the distance, the inconnu began moving his hands in small passes, circular motions at first that grew in intricacy and motion. Light formed briefly before he cast a palm forward, outward. Instantly, a quiet ensued on the area of the villa and he nodded. "Move now," he snapped at the assassin.

In a rush, Kelvyn and Jashen moved forward, quiet discarded in haste as they ran for the open doorway at the front of the villa. The thud of their boots was counter-pointed by the softer but firm sound of the sorcerer's footwear as he ran behind them, already mentally preparing his next assault. Kelvyn, more physically minded, knocked an arrow as he went, carefully avoiding exposure to the tip.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 pm

The two men closed the distance quickly, the inconnu thudding behind them. Bows at the ready, they entered the doorway but were greeted by the crumpled form of two guardsmen. A quick look about the chamber and they were moving through, even as the caster caught up with them. They paused at the next opening, and again the inconnu's hands moved in quick passes, ending with the same flourishing gesture. Again as they moved forward, more inert bodies greeted them. Kelvyn looked quickly about and chose each turn with care. In a brief time, they were entering an obvious dining hall.

The hall was ornately appointed and the central table cluttered with the remains of a late meal. Platters and flagons stood about with partial consumed foods upon them and the dregs of liquid in their bases. Torches guttered low in the sconces and candles dripped at the table. Slumped against seats where obvious guests of the owner, who was himself leaning over the arm of a chair in induced slumber.

"Get him," Kelvyn said quietly, bow still at the ready, as Jashen moved forward, lowering his own bow. He could tell Daavyd from among the guests, if not by station than by coloring. He clearly bore resemblence to his sister, and indeed all the Kyndales. He was dressed in the local styles of a long kirtel top and snug hose, but there was no doubt that this man was a Briton and scion of the Kyndale clan.

Jashen grunted as he threw him over his shoulder and started to make his way back across the oddly silece chamber. Kelvyn and the inconnu stood in the door, vigilently watching the others in the chamber. Jashen passed between them and they moved back down the corridor through which they had entered. Guards still lay unconscious as they progressed toward the main door.

"We'll make for the horses then ride to town," Kelvyn hissed in a low voice just before a blue hand, flashing up against the tall Saracen's chest stopped him.

"The spells fail!" the inconnu snapped in a whisper.
Sarekonna

Postby Sarekonna » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:03 am

Jashen hefted Daavyd more securely over his shoulder and drew a short blade as Kelvyn's bow came back to a taut readiness. "Do what you can, Inrish," the Saracen said calmly as he stepped along the corridor. Already the muffled sounds of movement were reaching them as they moved. Torchlight threw shadows about the walls which made all three men more anxious as they moved toward the velvet dark of night and safety.

The final turn was before them when they saw what filled them with dread. Four figures in livery and under arms were entering the passage from the yard. Their blades were already out and each group had been moving with similar caution. At the sight of the other, both started to edge for advantages. The guards moved quickly to supporting columns for shelter at the clatter of Kelvyn's arrow down the hallway.

Without any ceremony, Daavyd went from Jashen's shoulder to the ground and a second blade seemed to teleport into his hand as he rushed headlong down the passage with a battle cry. The guards paused in their seeking shelter as his mad rush startled them. The high pitch yell sounded a ring "Aaeeee!" off the empty walls as he flashed forward.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:56 am

Kelvyn's arrow passed close enough that Jashen felt the fletching against his cheek even as he began to swing on one of the guards. His blow was wide and steel clattered against marble as the guard launched his own assault on the wild man who had charged down the corridor. A quick movement of Jashen's blade parried the attack but he had to yield ground to do so. Kelvyn was already discarding his bow and drawing his own blades as the men recovered from the shock of invaders and Jashen's charge.

Blades flashed in the ruddy torchlight but the abductors had the advantage. Standing gate watch was fine for long blades and poleaxes, but they did not suit corridor fighting as well as the smaller blades wielded by Saracen and Briton. The lack of shields, a slight disadvantage at first, turned to a positive as the guards began to bang into columns and furniture as their assailants danced about and blades flashed in to nick and mark the guards.

Neither warrior gave the slightest attention to the Inconnu or their captive, if captive he remained, as they fought those who would protect the safety of the delusional Briton. Battle was all that was before them and their focus strictly on the bodies and weapons against them borne.
Last edited by Sarekonna on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 am

Jashen and Kelvyn pressed forward, gaining what little advantages they could in the narrow confines. The ring of steel mixed with grunts, curses and the smells of sweating bodies in a small area. The night beyond seemed to grow closer, only to slip away again as the guards pressed in. One of their number dropped with a wide gash showing through his breastplate, but that only seemed to fuel the remaining three to the real danger of the situation.

The trio moved against them, using jabbing thrusts to negate the difference in weapon size and the corridor's constraints. Jashen gave ground first but Kelvyn was pressed hard to keep his position and shortly he too fell back toward the inner door. Going back in was not an option but the other venues of exit were not presenting themselves.

Kelvyn cursed under his breath for relying too heavily on spell casting and not scouting the full complex himself. The haste of this operation had caused him to forego normal planning and the seeming simplicity of it as well. He channeled his self-rage into each thrusting jab of his rapier and main gauche, giving ground with cost.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:14 am

Jashen wasted no time as his sword lashed out in a low-arc, opening the thigh of the man he was facing. Even as his foe's hands clamped to staunch the blood now flowing, Jashen's second blade hurtled upward into him, leaving the man blankly staring at what had been his right hand lying on the floor. Kelvyn slid his main gauche through a gap in his own opponent's armor, feeling it penetrate beyond the protective padding beneath.

Inrish motioned and Daavyd walked blankly forward, bow drawn and arrow knocked. His eyes, devoid of thought, still swept the area looking for targets. Jashen exchanged an eyebrow-raised glance with Kelvyn as they released the guards to death's mercy then they both hurried after the small caster. Inrish did not pause as he turned at the doorway, heading toward the trees beyond and the horses tethered within.

Jashen motioned Kelvyn onward and kept a rear-watch, moving more slowly than the other two so that a gap opened. With a twist of his head to check their progress, he saw they had made the woods and only then did he quicken his pace to catch up. He was in the odd physiology of post-battle wariness but fatigued at the same time. Only when he had gained the clearing and saw the other three mounted, Inrish's mount carrying both puppet and puppeteer, did he feel alright to relax.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:51 am

Almost before Jashen had gained his saddle, Kelvyn was urging his own mount forward. "We must ride hard, we've lost valued time," he snapped as he put heels to belly and kicked his horse forward. Inrish wheeled his mount with a measure of comfort he'd not shown earlier and Jashen made note of the Inconnu's cagey ability to hide his skills well. Daavyd grasped the sorcerer about the middle as the horse sprung forward.

The pace they took through the woods could only be called reckless. The horses plunged through narrow openings, branches slapped at their faces and their passage built a wind to the ear. The pale moonlight did not aid their break-neck pace and more than once a horse pulled up in fright to be turned aside hard by its rider. Jashen found himself cursing repeatedly at the quick turns and plunges as they made for the roadway back toward town.

Emerging onto the road in the semi-light only signalled an increase to their pace as Kelvyn went from reckless trot to full gallop. The thunder of their hooves, however, did not mask the sounds of pursuit now rising from behind them. Arcs of various colored lights shot into the air as aid was called for at the manor. Riders bent low over the necks of their blowing mounts and tried to urge greater speed from them. Only the deck of the Michalmas now offered safety, and only then if it was putting to sea.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:57 pm

The narrow lane offered few chances to keep a rear-watch and their speed allowed even less. Hearing was almost useless as senses narrowed to the blur of the dark road and the sound of harness and hooves. Kelvyn and Jashen guided their horses with belted-knight's skill but at times Inrish struggled to keep his horse. Suddenly, the sorcerer cried out and his mount pulled up.

Jashen and Kelvyn turned and their eyes widen to see a blade glinting in the moonlight at the sorcerer's throat. Daavyd Kyndale's eyes blazed rage as he scowled at the pair. "What manner of intrusion and abduction is this? You'll both hang from a gibbet!" he snarled.

Kelvyn's blade was bare in his hand, the naked steel again poison darkened. "You're coming to Albion, Daavyd, and we're taking you." His eyes were flat but his teeth flashed with each spoken word. He slid from his mount with grace, dropping the reins casually. "Now, either kill him so I can rush you, or let him free and come peacefully."
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Daavyd looked from the assassin on foot to the mounted mercenary, eyes wide in fright and readiness. "I will kill him!" he hissed, fist working on the grip of the knife. "His blood will be on your head and I'll denounce you at trial!" His voice rose in panic. He was safe here, his mind at last clear and the plaguing thoughts gone. He knew who he was here and would let none drag him back to that land of torment and anguish, Albion.

Kelvyn shook his head. "No, you'll kill him, which I'll regret for he's been an able retainer. Then, I shall stab you, and my poison will render you senseless. I'll bind you to the horse and drag you to Albion trussed like a pig. And," he offered a chilling smile devoid of warmth, "if you strike me down, my guard will feather your pretty knees and bring you back a cripple."

Jashen quirked an eyebrow at the expression but brought his bow to the ready, aiming directly at Daavyd's near leg. "And I don't miss," he added quietly. The silence of uncertainty and wills settled over them, even as hooves started to sound in the distant woods, followed by the bay of hounds.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:59 am

Daavyd looked from one to the other, both faces impassive. Inrish sat perfectly still before him. "You'll not take me back!" he protested. "My men will reach us soon and then it will be I who gives orders!" His voice edged in panic as he realized he was facing two men whose skills he knew not and he could not hope to get through three foes, even if one would surely die by his blade before the other two could move.

Kelvyn kept his gaze impassive. "At the sight of your first outrider, you'll be dead and doing very little, Master Kyndale." His voice held menace and promise both, the cold tone of a hired killer who had done so before. "So lower the blade or take my man out. I grow impatient to meet my contract."

Jashen drew his bow taut, beyond his ear, arm starting to throb with fatigue. "Or I can feather your hand," he added in his own menace.

"And kill your man?" Daavyd could not keep the panic from his voice and paled when both men before him simply shrugged at the idea of the sorcerer dying.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:39 am

Daavyd stared at them both, eyes moving from one to the other. The sound of horses crashing through the woods grew louder. Clearly, men were out in force and searching. Kelvyn took a step closer. "Decide now, Kyndale," he said with a brutal calmness about him.

Daavyd quailed. He had never been strong at confrontations and this was more grim than he faced on average. Even his skills in battle did not prepare him for such open willingness to disregard life, apparently even his. His blade moved from the sorcerer's neck and before he could think, magic slammed into his mind, returning the lull that he had awoken from.

"Make it stick this time!" Kelvyn snapped, wheeling to his horse and vaulting into the saddle, barely astride it as he kicked it into motion. Their beasts surged forward, driven by riders' fear and the threat of the pursuit, valuable minutes spent like so many coppers over cheap wine.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:49 am

They rode with little concern for the pursuers. If they were caught it was over, simple as that. Clots of dirt flew behind them and a low-cloud marked their passage even in the night darkness. Horses blew and lathered as they passed into the port, the dull thud of hooves on dirt changed to the clatter of steel on cobbles. They barely checked the pace to make corners and galloped for the docks.

The Michelmas stood tall at her dock, all ballasting and cargo gone. The sails were half-furled and deckhands stood sharp lookout. A wide plank way, twice a normal gangway, had been laid out and Kelvyn aimed square on for it as he rode. His horse made the planks buck with the speed they passed over it and soon the other two were following.

Even as the horses panicked at being ship-board and whinnied, whipping their heads, lines were cast off. Boat hooks pushed then from the quay and oars pulled to make for the harbor edge. With great effort, the mounts were brought down the deck ramp to the hold, leaving a trail of their disapproval behind to be cleaned later.

Inrish smiled a small smile. "It seemed to have held, this time," he remarked to Kelvyn before going aft to his cabin to again wait out the passage to Albion.
Sarekonna

written by Crispian

Postby Sarekonna » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:33 am

The oars slapped in the water as the gap between ship and quay grew. Hearing the hooves pounding in town, Jashen and Kelvyn threw off their gauntlets and lent to on the oars. The prow swung into the channel and the ship edged toward moving water, even as the main sail dropped, filling slightly with air and causing more momentum to the ship.

Her dark hull was dark on the water, but still the first riders loosed arrows at the ship, the steel heads thudding about the deck and some cries of pain rising out. Still, the sail gained air and billowed out, a square cloud in a velvet sky. The Michelmas moved more quickly, her bow lifting as more sheets were added on. Soon, water began to hiss against the hull and the oars were shipped in.

Jashen sprinted to the stern to watch as the port and town grew smaller and smaller. The gentle surge of the vessel soon was all about him.
Sarekonna

PreviousNext

Return to The Lord's Arse