Kalindryn

Come, brothers and sisters, share with us your tales, from before your joined to today! Tell us of yourself and your travels and travails! (IC Please, OOC labeled!)

Kalindryn

Postby Shalomar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:44 pm

It was a perfect spring day the air even in the center of Camelot was sweet with the scent of flowers the sky was a perfect Baltic blue several large fluffy clouds drifted lazily across the sky never blotting the brilliant sunlight the same gentle breeze that pushed them on their way rustled softly through the trees and flirted playfully down the streets tempting everyone to lay down their work and come play.

Many had answered the siren’s call bustling into the streets of the city on the flimsiest pretext of errands to run. Children ran laughing through the city park playing games of their own creation while courting couples strolled more quietly through the shade of cherry trees in full blossom.

Not that Kali could see any of that from where she sat mired in the dusty and dull religious texts of the Church library she could only imagine what was happening in Camelot on this fine day by interpreting the noises that drifted through windows set too high to see out of.

Lost in her daydreams of the “Outside” world Kali let a sigh escape her bringing down the wrath of the supercilious librarian.

“Lady Kalindryn” he began his tone smug and haughty quite different from the fawning whine he used when he was talking to her father “You are NOT paying attention to your studies” his tone changed slightly bringing in the overtone of a threat “You would not want me to report to your august father that you have been less than vigilant”

Kali clenched her jaw so tight she wondered that her teeth didn’t crack throttling her voice back to what she prayed sounded like humble submission she replied “No sir, I’ll do better I promise” she kept her eyes down knowing that her face would hold only open rebellion and unwilling for the moment to risk yet another confrontation today. Her tone was apparently sufficiently submissive for the librarian contented himself with a superior little sniff before returning to his desk.

To keep the little toad happy and far away from her Kali pick up her quill and pretended to make notes from the huge tomb of noble genealogy. It was the task her father had set her for today it was supposed to remind her of the great history of their family and its service to the realm. Which was in turn was supposed to make her realize that her duty to the realm was to marry to her father’s political advantage and make herself into a spineless brainless ornament to the King’s Court good only for hosting stupid meaningless parties and bearing as many children as she could.

Not that she had any real objections to parties or children for that matter but her ideas of those things were vastly different than her father’s. Parties were supposed to be gatherings of friends and family for the purpose of having fun together. Father invited people based on their rank either actual or defined in terms of power and money and was as likely to invite his worst enemy as his best friend all for the purpose or lording HIS wealth power and rank over them all. As for children Father’s belief was that they should be bred as carefully as the finest horses with care taken to preserve the right bloodlines. After they were born they should be shuttled off to a country estate with well trained nursemaids kept out of their parents way until they were of breeding age and once more useful to their parents.

This was especially true of girls so that’s where Kali had been until a month ago when Father had begun negotiations with different families for possible marriage contracts. Happily ensconced at the family estate free to do as she pleased since her father never visited the estate he was unaware that her nursemaid while finely trained was getting on in years and apt to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. She was paying for that freedom now.

When she had arrived in Camelot her father had quickly discovered that the quiet biddable lady he was expecting bore no resemblance to the “irresponsible, graceless, unkempt hoyden” he had gotten.

As a consequence she had been little more than a prisoner in her own home as her father kept her hidden away trying to arrange a good marriage quickly before her “wild ways” became common knowledge and “no one of good family would have her”. Lost in her reverie Kali forgot to keep up the pretense of studying and allowed her gaze to drift once again to the high windows above the book shelves.

The sharp crack of a voice as hard a cold as a glacier snapped her from her daydream. “Girl! How many times do you have to be told to sit up straight?”

Kali wasn’t the only one startled by the sudden voice the Librarian had been caught up in his own studies. He jump as if he had been bitten rushing to bow and scrape and fawn over the imposing figure standing in the doorway

“My Lord Borden” he whined “I did not expect you back for at least an hour.”
Shalomar Tyrloc-48 Merc

Red Riding Hood: Mother told me to never stray from the path.
Baker: The path has strayed from You

Cinderella: If this is how you act as a Prince what kind of King will you be?
Prince: I was raised to be charming not sincere
Shalomar
Guard
Guard

Postby Shalomar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:33 pm

Lord Borden stepped out of the shadows of the doorway into the light of the Library imposing he was though not in any physical way. Physically he was average neither short nor tall his plain brown hair was starting to go grey at the temples his eyes were a green tinged hazel and though he tended to portliness due to a lack of physical exercise he wasn’t grossly overweight either.

Perhaps that was the reason for both his manner and dress. Never in her life had Kali seen her father looking less than impeccable he wore only the mostly costly fabrics and jewelry in fact Kali was often amazed at how quickly he could move weighted down as he was by his ornaments. He wore heavy rings on each finger and a heavy neck chain and medallion of gold that denoted his rank as Councilor even his belt and the buckle of his shoes were wrought of precious metal and jewels. His manner was all arrogance for he carried himself as if he expected that even the King would bow before him.

For all Kali knew perhaps the King did certainly everyone else they had come across since she had come to the city fell all over themselves to serve his Lordship Borden. Borden looked down his nose at the Librarian quite a feat considering the Avalonian man was a head taller than the lord himself.

“Well life is full of unexpected surprises is it not?” his voice was deep he had modulated it from the sharp bark he had used on Kali but it still held undercurrents of irritation and malice. The Librarian heard it as well and mumbled something about an errand hurrying out the door Borden had just entered leaving father and daughter staring at each other in stiff silence.

Jerking his head to indicate she should follow Borden spun on his heel and marched out of the library. Feeling she had little choice at this moment Kali followed meekly through the church and out onto the street where she was bustled into the carriage that would take her to her father’s townhouse. Once there she was handed over to the house maid.

“Make sure she’s presentable for dinner” with that short phrase Borden dismissed his daughter for his mind and called for his Seneschal to meet him in the study.

Kali walked up to her room with the air of a condemned prisoner heading to the gallows. Reaching the dubious haven of her room she stood there for a moment staring sightlessly at the trappings of wealth and prestige that covered the place.

“He hates me” she whispered more to herself than to the maid that had followed her

The maid shook her head sympathetically privately she thought the young milady had a point but she wasn’t about to say so you never know who might overhear a chance comment. “Nah then Miss ye mustn’t be sayin sech things ye and his lordship jest need ta get ta know each other.” She hesitated a moment glancing out into the hall and then whispered “If I was you Miss I’d never say THAT name in this house agin a slap ta th’ face hain’t the worst his lordship can give” shocked and scared at her own daring the maid fled before Kali could reply.

Kali raised her hand to her cheek she hadn’t thought the mark visible, taking a quick look in the mirror above her wash basin she saw no more than a faint streak of pink marring her cheek. She shook her head now she was being silly of course the servants knew they always knew the secrets of the houses they served in.

That morning as they sat down to break their fast Kali had once again tried to plead her cause she wanted more than anything to go to the Academy and learn the Minstrel’s craft but Borden would hear nothing of it. No daughter of his was going to mingle with the rabble they let into the Academy, and how did she expect him to arrange a decent marriage when word got out that she was up to such un-ladylike habits as riding astride instead of decently sidesaddle and rough and tumble fighting practices with those coarse peasant boys? There was much more along the vein with Borden growing more agitated with every moment. It had been then that Kali had made her biggest mistake unable to let go of the dream she had cherished for as long as she could remember she blurted out the unforgivable

“Lord Pontiff’s wife rides and fights and no one thinks her less of a lady!”

There was a split second of silence after her announcement a brief moment in which Kali instinctively knew she had somehow gone too far. She had cringed away as her father’s hand flew backhanding her forcefully enough to have her ears ringing and rocking her in her chair. He bent down close to her one hand fisting in her hair and yanking her head back cruelly so she was forced to look in eyes that were almost black with rage.

“You would DARE!?” he whispered fiercely “You are my blood everything you have including your very life is on my sufferance! And you dare to speak that name to me in my own house!?” his voice grew deadly calm and he release her taking his own seat again “You are fortunate that we are entertaining the parents of a perspective match for dinner tonight or I would have you flogged like a peasant brat. Cross me even once more Girl and you will regret it.”

No Kali thought a slap was no where near the worst Borden could hand out
Shalomar Tyrloc-48 Merc

Shalomar
Guard
Guard

Postby Shalomar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:30 am

Borden stalked into his study snatched the dispatches out of the hands of his trembling seneschal and dismissed the man with a sharp wave of his hand. Tossing the papers onto the desk he began to pace restlessly muttering under his breath.

Damn all women! If Corisal had managed to do her duty and bear him a son instead of a daughter before she had died he wouldn’t be in this fix. Worse the fever that had claimed her life had left him sterile and all but impotent leaving him to keep up the pretext of endless love for his worthless slut of a wife lest word get out of his condition and make him a laughing stock.

Now he was left with no other options. His position on the Council was by no means a secure thing. His plot against Pontiff had failed miserably leaving him on precarious ground he had called in far too many favors during that time leaving him overextended. He could almost feel his enemies circling like vultures. He needed to strengthen his position with an alliance marriage to a powerful family preferably one with royal connections or he could lose everything.

The thought of Lord Crispian Pontiff peasant upstart and constant thorn in his side Borden ground his teeth in frustration. Somehow the base born brat had managed not only to clear himself of all charges but through the diplomatic efforts of his wife the, oh so saintly Lady Azaeli, he had gained even more favor in court than he had before Borden’s accusations.

A discreet cough at the door of his study brought him out of his daydreams of the revenge he would reap once his position was secure. “Your Lordship it is but two hours before dinner you must make ready if you are to be prepared for your guests” Borden acknowledged the words of his valet with a wave of his hand.

“I shall be there in a moment”

He would not fail a second time to bring Pontiff to his knees but first The Marquess and Marchioness of Rotheram must be convinced that his daughter was the only choice as bride for their son. Once the girl was safely wedded and bedded then his plans could proceed.
Shalomar Tyrloc-48 Merc

Shalomar
Guard
Guard

Postby Shalomar » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:54 pm

Kali sat in front of her vanity and stared silent and pale at her own reflection. She was perfectly coifed and gowned, the deep forest green of her silk velvet gown brought out a matching color in her gray-green eyes. The Chestnut hair that hung to her waist was elaborately braided and curled in a way that made her look both maidenly and mature. The jewels she wore in her hair and at her throat had been her mother’s gifted to her by Borden upon their betrothal. The emeralds and diamonds winked gently in the soft candle light and though they were beautiful beyond measure to Kali they felt as cold and heavy as the collar of ownership they were intended to be.

“It’s time m’lady” the maid spoke quietly as if aware of the internal fragility of her mistress “You must be downstairs when the Marquess and Marchioness arrive. His Lordship would be dreadfully upset were you not there to greet your guests.”

“They are not MY guests.” Kali muttered rebelliously but with a hint of desperation. Still she rose and let the girl fuss over the final set of her dress. Anxiety had been building in Kali since she had returned to the house from the library until now she was almost in a state of sheer panic. It seemed she could see her life stretching out before her as confining as any prison. She would be married off to some old “friend” of her father’s looking for a young wife to give him an heir or some younger man who couldn’t decide what clothes to wear without help but whose parents had all the right political connections.

She would bear children that would be taken from her and given into the hands of “proper” nursemaids to be raised while she was forced to endure the endless social obligations of court life. She would be forced to endure having her clothes friend’s opinions and even her enemies chosen for her by either her husband or the prevailing opinion of the reining “popular” nobles. Kali knew that who she was would wither and die until she became the mindless spineless creature everyone wanted her to be.

The more she thought about it the more panic layered on top of her until she could barely breathe. The worst of it was she couldn’t see a way out for herself.

She walked woodenly down the stairs and stood beside her father to greet their guests. If anyone had asked her after what the lord and his lady looked like, what they had said or even what she ate Kali would not have been able to tell them. She managed somehow to say the right things at the right times. The only thing that managed to get past the panic was a passing comment made by the Marchioness as she and her husband took their leave.

“You are a lovely young lady Kalindryn I think Mortikia will be very pleased with you, I always wanted a daughter to dress up” She leaned in and brushed Kali’s cheek with her lips before she made her goodbyes to Borden and left.

Borden nodded once to Kali with what seemed to be a faint hint of approval before retiring once again to his study. Kali stood in the entry way frozen in shock she couldn’t say what horrified her more knowing she was going to have to marry this faceless “Mortikia” or the fact that his mother intended to use her as a giant dress up doll.

Standing quietly in her dark gown in the shadows of the entry hall the servants heading back to the kitchen after readying the bedrooms for sleep didn’t see her. They continued on with their discussion unrestrained. The topic seemed to center around a servant from another house that was being abused in someway by her master.

“So I tol’ ‘er ta jest run away an’ leave bein’ ‘as ‘ow I ‘ave some folks I know up in Snowdonia as is in need of a maid and don’t cares too much what her Ladyship thinks of ‘em”

Kali felt as though she had been plunged into a warm bath thawing out her frozen body her mind latched onto one phrase and repeated it over and over in her mind like a talisman “run away”. She waited until the servants passed her and had ducked down the door leading to the kitchen then she bolted for her room. She knew now what she needed to do and she wanted to be gone before she lost her nerve.

She burst into her room so violently her maid was stunned speechless. Taking advantage of her shock Kali took a leap of faith and tried the song she had learned from a traveling minstrel that had once stayed at the country house he swore it would charm anything or anyone. The maid’s eyes went blank and she stood like a zombie awaiting Kali’s command.

“I’m sorry for this but I must get away from here. You will go to the servant’s quarters you will claim a headache and go directly to your bed and not arise until morning. When they question you about me you will tell them only that you put me to bed and I dismissed you for the night. Do you understand?” the girl nodded as stiffly as a puppet “Good now go”

Kali turned to her next task before the girl had even closed the door behind her. She could only pray that the charm held if it didn’t she hoped she would be gone before the alarm was raised. Taking shears from her washroom Kali ruthlessly slashed her hair to her shoulders she quickly undressed and left the jewelry on the vanity she wanted her father to have no excuse to turn the guard out on her.

Dressed in her oldest clothes she grabbed an equally worn cloak and the only thing she had that meant anything to her an old lute she had rescued from the refuse heap and lovingly restored. Not daring to risk being seen by servants or worse yet meeting her father Kali opened the window and climbed out. Climbing a trellis sounded easy when one heard about it in all those ballads of forbidden love but Kali found the reality a little harsher the trellis outside her window had large rose vines growing up them with equally large thorns by the time she reached the bottom she had several large scratches on her arms and legs one impressive puncture mark on her palm and her face was streaked here and there with green from crushed leaves.

The panic that had built up in her all day finally had an escape route and Kali found herself running out of the courtyard without a backwards glance or a thought as to where she was going.
Shalomar Tyrloc-48 Merc

Shalomar
Guard
Guard

Postby Mithralin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:37 pm

Solosan flopped down on her mother’s bed and sighed as she watched her mother finish getting ready for the party. She looked stunning in her iridescent, Altantian, dress; which only enhanced her Avalonian features; Mithralin hardly looked old enough to have grandchildren. “I still don’t understand why you are going to this party, have you forgotten what Lord Borden tried to do to us.. to Crispian!”

Mithralin finished pinning the last lock of long blonde hair into place and straightened her necklace, standing up and turning from side to side checking her dress in the mirror before turning to Solosan, “I’m sure it was just a formality.. he invited Thakeas and it would have been rude to exclude his wife.” Satisfied with her attire, Mithralin grabbed her cloak and headed for the door.

Solosan stood up and followed her mother out of the room, “Are you not waiting for Thakeas?” Mithralin smiled and shook her head, “He sent word he was delayed in Boldiam, so it looks like I will attend without him.” Solosan quickened her pace to catch up to her mother, “ahh are you traveling to Lord Borden’s alone?”

Mithralin smiles, “Lord Borden’s manor is not that far away,” seeing the concerned look on Solosan’s face, “I will be alright.. it is not the first time I have walked the streets alone.” Solosan shook her head, “give me a second.. I will go with you at least to his door.” Solosan grabbed her cloak and shield and headed towards the door.

Solosan stopped in front of Lord Borden’s house and looked around. “I will have someone from the League come and escort you home.” Mithralin smiled, “really that will not be necessary..” sighing..”but if you insist; now go you will be late for your hunt!, she smiled as she waved Solosan off and walked up the steps to the mansion.
Solosan stood at the gate and waited for her mother to enter Lord Borden’s house.

Solosan looked up at the night sky.. the moon had already risen.. “I’m going to be late; Iledralian probably at the Guild hall waiting for me..” she mumbled to herself and she spun around and cut across the courtyard towards the stables.
Solosan Corrick, Marshal of the League
Lady Mithralin RavenWolfe

Certainty of death, small chance of success
I say why not!
Mithralin
Warlord Central Staff
Warlord Central Staff

Postby Crispian » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:10 pm

"Young Lord, if you please!" the servant fussed again, holding the brocaded doublet out hoping the arms would find their way into the sleeves. "Tis time to dress. The mounts are niegh to ready."

Mortikai snorted, a disdainful sound. He shrugged back into the padding that would go under his chain armor. "I told you I'm not for any dinner, no matter what Papa orders or Mama cries about. Baqurath and I are going to the Crypts." His shifted his shoulder, groaning at the bruise from a bouldering.

"But Lord," the servant implored. Mortikai looked at him and smiled a charming smile. "Oh, no, not again," came a groan.

"I was bathed and gone before you got here," Mortikai threw a wink then pulled the linked shirt over his head. With a flippant wave, he strode from the chamber, leaving brocaded shirt, velvet breechs and high boots behind him.

"Merde!" his servant snapped, thinking of excuses already.
Crispian Pontiff, Precentor, St. Crispin's League

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother" Henry V
Crispian
Warlord Central Staff
Warlord Central Staff

Postby Shalomar » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:43 am

Borden paced like a caged tiger already attired for the night he attempted to calm himself enough to pull off the charade tonight would be. Damn that useless slut of a daughter! Did she really think she would get away with this? He would not have his plans thwarted in this manner by his own blood. He would have her drug to the altar in chains if need be.

“My Lord your guests will be here any moment” he nodded curtly and dismissed the servant.

He had his most trusted agents looking for her even now and when they found her, his lips turn up into a grimace that not even the most generous soul would call a smile, when they found her she would learn that crossing him was a dangerous idea.
Shalomar Tyrloc-48 Merc

Shalomar
Guard
Guard

Return to The Lord's Arse