The Errant Page

Come, brothers and sisters, share with us your tales, from before your joined to today! Tell us of yourself and your travels and travails! (IC Please, OOC labeled!)

The Errant Page

Postby Crispian » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:39 am

Crispian barely looked at the young woman next to him as he dipped quill to ink and wrote. His hand was even, and the words came qiuckly. He sanded the parchment, reading it:

It reads:

"My Lord Marshal,

I believe it would be advantageous to find work outside the League hall for Madiera, specifically focusing on issues of humility and humbleness, which should not be confused. She has a tongue worthy of a serpent, and a demeanor to match. I do not know if she is trying to find what an Honor-Challenge from a full Knight of the Realm, skilled in martial matters afield and ahunt, is like, but it is quickly becoming my assumption that she does, indeed, wish to learn the folly of her persumptions on her person in a fashion beyond Papa taking her over his knee.

My vexation with her grows with each sylable she utters, and if not brought to heel like the cur she behaves by her Knight Sponsor, she will be by her Leige Lord. I owe her no familial cordiality, and she had best no expect any, nor any familiarities from me in the future. The matter rests in your most able hands.

In faith and oath, I remain now as ever,
Crispian Pontiff,
Precentorus Maxmimus
Knight, St. Crispin's League"

sealed in the arms of the office, senior Precentor.

He handed it to Madiera. "Take that to Lord Rathskellar." His tone was half-command, half-vicious, his anger held barely in check.
Crispian Pontiff, Precentor, St. Crispin's League

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother" Henry V
Crispian
Warlord Central Staff
Warlord Central Staff

Postby Rathskellar » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:04 am

<face reddens as he reads more and more of the scroll>

<finishes and slams the parchment on the table and bellows>

Page! Page! There you are! Bout time, you will be getting a demerit for tardiness. Now, bring me quill and parchment, my seal, wax and blotter. Hurry or you will incur another demerit. Run boy run!

<mutters to himself as he walks to the bar and pours an ale>

Wretched wretched woman. Manipulative minx. Knight Sponsor indeed.

<sits back down as the page runs back in, not noticing the maids and other pages peeking around corners at his latest outburst>

<brows knitted, he dips his quill and with shaking hand scribbles out a note, pausing now and then getting ink on his forehead as he thinks>

My Lord Crispian,

Please please tell me that the wench did not manipulate you into making me..

Bah! That won't do, he'll get his bloody back up.

<scratches the line out and starts again>

My Lord Precentor,

As always I am your faithful servant and will do as you wish in any matter without argument. The dear Lady Madiera has been inquiring rather fiercely about having me take her on as squire for some time now and I have steadfastly refused for as you know I am still recovering my constitution from the last squire. I feel it would be a detriment to my duties were I to take on such a
<pauses a moment, discarding several words> [i]headstrong and willful young lady.

My Lord, please tell me that you have not, wittingly or no, allowed her to go over my head and have you appoint me as her Knight. As you and Father Tobyas alone know, I also have some...personal issues with the young lady in question that I am trying to resolve. Having her in close proximity at all times would be most distressing to my efforts.

Page! There you are. Fetch me another ale. Do it quickly and we shall forget your earlier tardiness. Thats a good boy.

I am content in the knowledge that a man of your stature and experience could never be hoodwinked into anything by a mere 17 year old girl. I am certain you will see the wisdom of attaching this delightful creature to someone with a more steadfast nature, such as, say Lord Allonan.

I remain your most faithful and humble servant,

Rathskellar Darkbow
Knight Marshal
[/i]

<grins as he blots and seals the parchment handing it to the page>

See that goes directly to Lord Crispian boy, do not dawdle on the way.

<mutters to himself>

We shall see if you can outwit me, girl. Knight Sponsor my bloody arse.
Last edited by Rathskellar on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

"I don't know if I should ban you or throw up." Sarsin

Dead Camel Found Near Swedish Highway
Rathskellar
Marshal

Postby Crispian » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:06 am

Crispian reads the missive, noting the rub-outs, smudges and trailing marks of a hasty hand. In the quiet of his private office, he smirks. The normal expression of amusement holds not a hint at any mirth. "Tannir, bring me some fresh parchment, please," he says in little more than a murmur, absently turning the signet on his right hand.

When his aide brings the requested materials, Crispian nods in thanks and takes immediately to pen. His hand, once tight and crabbed, has relaxed over the decade he's had more than casual cause to practice it. Now, removed from the scurilous commentary of Mediera, he writes calmly and reflectively.

Dearest Brother, Noble Lord, and Knight,

I regret that my instruction of the earlier missive was not as clear as, perchance with reflection, it could have been. Indeed, I know well your Herculean efforts with Jerija to turn her into a most noble, proper Dame as well as astute, skilled, and able Scout. Accolades would fall leaden in the short-shrift that they would give that effort, and indeed the result.

It would seem to my mind that the charge, not your charge, Mediera has troubles in the areas of prudence, restraint, courtesy, service, humility and respect, to begin the list. While I am at this time, most uncertain in what direction to proceed on all fronts, I would remiss to subject onto you the agonies that would, with out doubt, follow a full-on Squiring of the individual in question.

However, it would be imprudent of me to not take notice of her keen fondness for you, even if displayed in a wantonness that would make even Jezebel look coy.

Take to heart that indeed I do not force her into squireship under your aegis, as squires are Knight selected, and not commanded to be taken. Such being the nature of the relationship, I would not abuse mine own rank and station to force upon you such an individual. Such rapine disregard for your own wishes is not in my character and nature.

Again, I beg leave for the caustic, midgardian nature of my earlier missive, but I would request your taking a more stern line with her in the future, and a brooking of less familiarity, as she reaches beyond not her station, for you know I put little coin in such hollowness as titles and pendants, which are a trifling among the Realm and even the League. However, as her nature seems to possess an active need to disrepute, besmirch and sully others for her own amusement and delight, I feel it would be a most prudent course with her to enforce at the least a civil treating of all, yourself included.

I hope that this clarifies my thoughts earlier, and rectifies what I in haste did set to ink.

Humbly as ever, I remain

Crispian Pontiff
Knight, St. Crispin's League[i]

Finishing, he drips sky blue wax on the fold and seals it.

"Tannir, take this personally to Lord Rathskellar, and fetch along a small keg of that Dwarvish stout we found at Hild Faste last week." He smiled, eyes glinting with a deep mirth. "Then has Vladistov stop in. I'd like to send a word to our Father Tobyas."

Tannir looked confused but bowed. "aye Lord" and turned on heel to do his Lord's bidding.
Crispian Pontiff, Precentor, St. Crispin's League

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother" Henry V
Crispian
Warlord Central Staff
Warlord Central Staff

Postby Madiera » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:14 am

In the quiet of the pages' quarters, after the other girls were long asleep, Madiera lay reflecting on the happenings of that day and the day before. She had triumphed, or so she hoped, in her first goal laid down by Malduin: Become close to Rathskellar by any necessary means.

Seduction had not worked, to her surprise and vague disappointment. She then tried manipulation through Crispian, but in the end that had failed as well. Last eve she stooped so low as to talk to the priest Tobyas, and she was confident that he believed her to be just a lost innocent trying to find her way.

This morn Rath had been cross with her, and she put on an act of crying, claiming to be a frightened child in need of protection. He had fallen for it seemingly, but it would be a difficult ruse to maintain, being so out of character for her.

Silently, Madi slipped out of bed. She took up a small satchel and crept to the door in her shift. Her heart pounded in her chest as her bare feet made their way across the smooth wood of the floor. Her hand rested on the latch and her breath caught as she moved it ever so slowly, in effort to keep from waking the others. She crept across the hall and into another room which she knew to be unoccupied for the night, closing the door behind her securely.

Enveloped in darkness, she knelt on the floor and opened the satchel, drawing out a tiny stone figure hastily carved into a half-ogre's form. She closed her eyes, fingering the stone with a loving caress, and whispered: "One in our hearts, even in death, speak to me, my love, when thy name is whispered into thine ear: Farondarch." She kissed the stone and it grew warm. Beneath her fingers the tiny ogre animated, and Madi opened her eyes to see a faint red glow light the room.

"My exquisite, my own heart, how fare thee?" Faro's voice emitted from the stone and Madi brought it to her face as if to feel his breath on her skin.

"Oh Faro, I miss you so. I pine for you, my soul's only want.." She closed her eyes again, imagining Faro locked in his library, parchment strewn about him, gazing down at his own little stone Avalonian. "I need your arms, your hands.."

"In time, dearest," he murmured, letting go a long sigh, "How goes your task?"

"Dreadful, but I think I've succeeded. They're all of them nearly worse than the abbey. I'll be glad to see him succeed at whatever he's got planned."

"Careful, fairest rose," Faro's voice dimmed to a mere whisper, and tears welled in Madi's eyes. She knew the statues were meant only to work for the shortest while, for the magic was faint so as to be undetectable. Their talk was ending even before it had begun. She wanted desperately to talk of their passions, but knew the time could not be wasted.

"And your own task," she asked, "how goes it?"

"I have found something..." the glow faded, and the stone grew cool.

"Faro!" Madiera hissed, shaking the stone vigorously as if that would revive him inside of it. But nothing happened, and Madiera slumped against the wall in utter disappointment. She tried the incantation again, but nothing came of it and she knew it could not be used again for several hours. Feeling worse than she had before they spoke, Madi pushed herself up from the floor and crept outside again.

She listened for a moment at the top of the stairs before creeping down them and into the empty guild hall. The low embers in the hearth crackled sleepily as she approached. There in the flames, she saw that which she expected to see.

"I've done as you asked," she whispered to the hearth, "and now?"
Madiera
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Madiera » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:53 am

A low roar from within the flames was her reply, then a crackling much unlike a fire, but more similar to sound of heavy footsteps snapping the bones strewn across a crypt floor. Malduin was laughing, peering out at her from the flames.

“You have bedded the ssscout Rathssskellar, then?” His voice mingling with the now roaring flames made Madiera shiver.

“Not bedded, no. But I have gained his trust for now. How is my Faro?” She watched his eyes, those horrible red eyes as they explored her face, her body. Men had looked at her that way before, even those pious men who ought never to look at a woman. Always she had been proud of that, but the way he did it made her feel worthless, filthy. A whore, even. She drew the drooping collar of her shift up over her shoulder and held it closed. The wicked sound came again: his laughter.

“Ssssuprising. I thought you would use that lithe body of yoursss. It isss your way, iss it not?” Madiera’s eyes narrowed, anger welled in her now, and she realized it was anger toward Malduin for taking Rathskellar as such a dishonorable fool.

“I did try that way, but he would not. He is betrothed and has the support of that fool priest. We’ve made a pact of friendship, and he has asked me to be patient.”

“You sssshould bed him. It isss the bessssst way to have him completely devoted,” his tongue, or perhaps a tongue of flame, lashed out and flicked at his lips.

“If I pressed him now, it would ruin everything. I know what I am doing. Now, I have done as you asked. When can I see my Faro?”

“Have you not ssspoken to him? I gave you a meansss,” the flames licked the sides of the hearth, coming dangerously close to escaping.

“I have, but—I need to see him“ Flames shot out from the hearth, licking at her shift as the laughter continued.

“You will find out for me about a sssssstone, or an orb. I want to know where it isss, what became of it. When I am ssssatissssfied with your progresssssss, you may visssssit your monster-love to quench your carnal desssssiresss. Clossssssely ssssupervised, of courssssse.” The wicked sound flooded, and various ornaments adorning the walls burst into flame. Madiera leapt from the fireplace as several pages ran in to beat out the fire.

When all was quiet again, she glanced at the hearth only to find it empty. It made no sense to her what he wanted with Rathskellar, and how was she to find out about a stone? There were thousands of magical stones strewn about Albion. Then she remembered the tale she read of Malduin and Ennick, and how they had been bound by a stone. As the other pages hurried back to bed, Madiera slipped into the library and pulled out several scrolls.
Madiera
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Madiera » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Following Malduin’s orders, Madiera found herself spending long hours in the hall even during its emptiest times, waiting for that rare moment during which she could steal a glance at sensitive papers or cause some small inconvenience to an officer. Already she had swiped several important looking scrolls and slipped them into the forge embers. One of them had looked suspiciously as if it was from her last abbey, bearing the crest of one of the high ranking Sisters there. She had also been successful in making most of the other pages terrified of her to the point that they would not go into a room if she was there, or dare to breathe a word against her to anyone of a higher rank.

When there was a chance that people would be about, though, she made herself busy with other things so as not to seem suspicious. That was why today she sat at a table in a warm pool of sunlight, surrounded by various drawings and notes that she’d collected during her studies. Many of the pages were gruesome to look at; filled with drawings of corpses, zombies, and skeletons. There was a lyrical quality to them though, if one looked at them for accuracy and compositional beauty. Madi had taken to drawing during her time in the last abbey, and found she had quite a talent for it even though she was forbidden from it by the holy mother, who was obviously spiteful and jealous of her abilities.

The crimson sleeve of her robe was rolled up to the elbow, and a network of black ink lines covered her milk-white palm. She dipped the quill again and relished slight pain of its point dragging along her skin as she reached the tender inside of her wrist, carefully marking the bones there. The door opened and someone entered. Without looking up, she knew it was Rath and her lips curled into a smile. She dipped again and followed the lines on the page, drawing the bones of her finger onto her skin. It was a delightfully horrible sight, the black bones against her perfect skin, and she looked up to see Rath stopped in his tracks, watching her. It was obvious he was trying not to seem taken aback or disgusted by the sight.

“Greeting, Rath,” she said, feeling the warmth on her cheeks as she blushed, “Come and see what I’m doing.”

Rathskellar moved to the far side of the room where his desk was and set his packs down, “No thank you, I don’t deal in dark magic,” his voice was a little cold, and she was surprised that it stung her.

“This isn’t dark magic,” she replied, her bottom lip poking out in a small pout.

“No?” he unfastened his cloak and tossed it over the back of his chair, not even looking at her, “Isn’t that what your kind do? Dance naked by the light of the full moon, and all of that?”

“Haven’t you done that? It’s quite liberating. Everyone should try it at least once,” she said with a mischievous smile, “But for your information, I am studying the nuances of bone structure, and weaknesses therein. It would probably interest you some to know about it.” Rath scratched the skin where his left ear once was and considered her for a moment, and Madi offered an alluring smile, “See here,” she pointed to a thick line that ran down the length of her arm, “There is a bone that runs this way. If you were to aim for it, you could completely disarm your enemy. He would not be able to use that arm if the bone was shattered, and it is only a small bone. Easily breakable.”

She moved over on the bench to make room, and Rath came to sit with her. Together they pored over her drawings as Madiera explained several places in the anatomy which were quite vulnerable. Some he knew of, and some he did not. That mattered little to her though. The scent of battle lingered on his armor, and sitting there beside him, she grew dizzy with desire. He leaned close to her, oblivious for the moment of his own proximity, pointing out several parts of the drawings and asking questions. Without thinking, she leaned toward him. He stopped and looked at her. Do it now, or you never will. He is right where you want him. She wondered whether the voice was Malduin’s or her own.

Without a second thought, she kissed him. It was meant to be quick, but she allowed herself to linger long enough to let him realize he wanted more before she pulled away. Immediately she played at shock for Raths’s sake at what she’d just done. Her own pulse thudded in her ears as he sat frozen for a moment. Madi drew a hand to her lips and covered them apologetically, “I’m sorry…” she breathed.

The scout blinked and cleared his throat. His eyes flicked to the table and then around the room as if he was getting his bearings. “Ahem,” he cleared his throat again and slid a few inches away from her, albeit reluctantly. “I uh..” he stood, knocking over a nearby stool, “I should go....” He mumbled something she didn’t quite catch.

“Of course,” Madi smiled warmly. She always loved having that effect on men, watching them fluster that way, but with Rath somehow it meant more to her to see that sort of reaction. “I can show you more, another time,” she added demurely as he bumped into the table where his gear had been dropped.

“Oh, yes, let’s do it again! Er—“ he dropped his cloak and picked it up again, “The drawings, that is. The drawings.”

“Anytime you’d like, Rath.” Madi slid her fingers through her hair and sat down again as Rath collected his things. “I have plenty of things to show you.” She smirked, but waved innocently to Rath as he rushed out the door with a quick bow of farewell, bumping into the doorjamb as he did so.

That evening when Rath returned he found the hall empty, but a small field journal lay on his desk. He picked it up and thumbed through it to find several of Madiera’s drawings on a smaller scale, with notes to go with them. “In memory of a devine afternoon—M.” was scrawled on the inside cover.
Madiera
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rathskellar » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:09 pm

She practically bounced into the Great Room of the Hall, eyes shining and gave a slight curtsey.

"Hullo everyone! Rath, I'm glad you are here! I just learned a new shield skill and I am anxious to try it out. Will you spar with me? I know you are very good with the shield."

He grinned despite himself and pushed the reports and the mug of ale away from him, considering her.

"Aye lass, I can spare a few minutes. let me get my things and we can go to the small practice yard behind the Hall."

Oh, excellent! Thank you m'Lord."

While she waited she looked about the room and lowered her brows.

"Why is there no fire? There is always at least a small fire in the main hearth."

Mellyora looked up from her seemingly intense but quiet conversation with Rhudd but said nothing. Solosan said "Ahh, well, Lord Crispian has ordered that there be no fires except in the braziers for now and even those are to be closely supervised. There have been some odd goings-on of late, Madiera."

The excitement in Madiera's eyes dimmed but she said nothing, as Rath came back into the room in his dark armor and weapons. "Lets go then, shall we"

"Yes, of course." she answered absently.

"What happened to the bouncy lass I just left? My, your moods change like the spring weather in Hibernia."

"Tis nothing, let us go m'Lord."

The two made their way to the practice yard, little more than a grassy space with a few ragged dummies that was hardly used much anymore. Most practiced thier skills at the various guilds in the city according to preference where there was extensive equipment and alway a trainer on hand.

They spoke for a few minutes as Madi explained what she had learned and Rath nodded and pointed out some things. Then they took positions facing each other with Rath in the guard posture. Madiera launched into an attack prominently featuring her shield, and ending with a spin and a crack and final flourish of her whip.

"Good good," Rath said. "Very well done! Here, let me show you this though." He moved around behind her. "Now move into your attack posture." He put his hands on her hips as she raised her whip high while pulling her shield in close to guard her vital organs. "Now," he said "slowly go through the same attack". As she moved step by step he guided her hips and talked "There, keep your feet moving always, side-step, side-step back, now spin and... " He stepped back as she finished with a shield slam and the whip crack and flourish.

"Much better! It is very important to keep those hips moving."

She looked at him and her upper lip curled. "Oh, I think I can remember that." She turned and walked back to her beginning point, exaggerating the motion of her hips. The effect in her tight woven breeches was enough to make Rath redden and turn away. She looked over her shoulder and laughed, a clear unfettered sound like a bell ringing for Sunday mass. She stopped suddenly, realizing that for a moment she had actually been free of care and happy enough to laugh a true laugh.

"Come," he said "one more time, this time I will counter."

Her face grim this time, Madi launched into her attack furiously, as Rath backed away. As Madi moved into her shield slam, Rath countered with his own shield, ducking her whip and sending her back a step with another shield slam. As he lunged with his rapier, she caught it with her whip and entangled it. A grin appeared on her face, but quickly turned to shock as Rath yanked her toward him with his trapped rapier and then brought his shield squarely into her chest. She staggered back, dropping her whip and then yelped in pain and crumpled to the ground.

Rath dropped his weapons and walked toward her. "Are ye all right lass? Did I hit you too hard?"

Madi grabbed her ankle and then rolled over and tried to stand. "No, of course not, I just turned my ankle is all. Let us do it again." She picked up her shield and took a step to her fallen whip. As the weight came down on her right foot, she winced and cried out again, but did not fall. " I will be fine." She hopped on one foot to her whip and picked it up balancing hesrelf with her right foot in the air. "There, let us begin."

Rathskellar's eyes widened incredulously and then he smiled. "I will say this lass, you are a tough one. Come, take my arm and sit down in the grass, let me examine that ankle."

Madi's lower lip set in determination but then softened as she looked at the scout's concerned face. She dropped her shield and whip and took his arm, and he helped her reach a small grassy hummock under a nearby tree.

As he unlaced her boot, she said "I don't know how that happened, I thought I had you in check there."

He grinned and said without looking up " Never entangle yourself with your enemy. Remain free and mobile at all times."

Had he been any less focused on his task, he would have seen her face instantly crumple and her eyes grow damp with tears. She said softly through trembling lips. "Yes. Yes you are right Rath. So, so right.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

Rathskellar
Marshal

Postby Rathskellar » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:10 pm

He removed the boot gently and looked up and saw her face. "Oh, bloody hell, Madi, I am sorry, it must be very painful."

"Aye it is, but you do what you need to Rath. I will be fine."

He took out his dagger and sliced the stocking from her foot and began to run his hand lightly over her entire foot and ankle, and then began probing gently with two fingers. She watched his face closely, not even feeling the pain and knowing full well she could heal it easily.

He moved each toe individually and and then had her wiggle them and slowly move her entire foot. "Well," he said "nothing seems broken. I know you can heal yourself, but its best to check first or the healing can do more long term harm than good. But I think it is just a sprain. Painful but fairly harmless if you get some rest."

She nodded, her eyes still on his face. " I think a kiss would make it better, and then I could heal it." She grinned and let a few tears trickle down her face.

He looked up at her, and not taking his eyes from hers, he leaned down and gently kissed her ankle. She closed her eyes as an unexpected shudder coursed through her. He nodded, barely perceptible, and then took the remains of her stocking and began wrapping her ankle. As he worked, Madi lifted one hand to push her hair out of her face and gave an unnoticed waggle of her fingers, healing the sprain in her ankle.

"So tell me who Faro is. Do you love him?" He asked as he pulled her boot on again carefully.

She flinched slightly before she could check herself, and cursed inwardly. Why could she not figure out where this seemingly simple man would jump next?

"I already told you all I know about Pharoahs, Rath. I am still learning myself."

"Did you really think I fell for that ruse? You are not so good a liar as you think." Madi found herself taken aback at his words. He knew, and she had to steer him away. Before she could reply, he rose and picked up his shield and spear and turned to go. Madi jumped to her feet, forgetting her supposedly turned ankle and watched him take a few steps.

"He was my first love." She blurted, mustering a few more tears.

Rath stopped, but did not turn around.

"His name is..was..Farondarch. I do not know if he is alive."

Slowly Rath turned around and faced her, and she took a few steps toward him, her expression turning mournful.

"I lost my parents and then him, and I had no choice but to come here." They looked at each other for a long moment, and she hoped to have tangled him once more by playing for his pity.

"So," Rath said, "you have either given up hope for him, or your interest in me has been a pretense. I am not sure which is worse Madi."

He turned and strode briskly to the Hall, and Madiera watched him go, fury building within her at yet another failure by him.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

Rathskellar
Marshal

Postby Rathskellar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:24 pm

The door slammed open, startling those within. He threw his shield and practice sword into a corner with a clamor. The maids and pages looked at each other and scurried from the room, a practiced technique.

Madi ran in behind him and shouted "Rath!" She realized quickly that there were others in the Great Room, and covered her embarassment at chasing a man by turning to close the door. She turned back around to find him striding toward the bar. Forgetting the audience, she called his name again and moved towards him, anger now replacing shame and regret. He stopped and turned around, face red with fury. She nearly stopped but continued moving closer to him.

"What? What lies do you wish to entertain me with now Madi?" He thundered.

Iledralian stood, rolling a scroll. "Well then, I need to be getting to the Academy. Ta ta all."

Madi, now furious herself at her situation and this public scene leaned close to his ear and whispered " I don't love you."

The change in his face was immediate and remarkable, and she almost started denying it right away but forced her lips into a thin line. His posture moved from dynamic to rock still, and his face grew calm and returned to its usual color. His eyes grew cold and for the first time in her life, Madi felt what she thought must be fear. Now she knew what his enemies saw last before they died and felt a morsel of pity for them. He said nothing, but turned on his heel and walked behind the bar.

She took a step toward him and started "Rath, I..." She realized how close she was to spewing the whole story and asking for help, but the amulet around her neck chose that moment to pulse and glow. She nearly burst with frustration.

Solosan rose and said "Ah Madi, that is an interesting necklace. It looks like a tiny image of an ogre, no?"

Madi held the amulet up before her eyes and answered absently "Aye Solosan, it is." her brows drew down thoughtfully. Seeming to have reached some sort of decision within herself, she purposefully reached both hands behind her neck and undid the clasp on the chain that held the image. She ignored it as it pulsed again with a reddish glow. She walked the last few steps to the bar, and put the amulet on the surface in front of him, next to his mug, upright on its feet. She looked into his eyes and said " For you. Take it for what you will."

His brows lowered as he looked from her to the amulet. She hid a wince as Rhudd reached from his stool and picked it up, examining it. He squinted closely and asked " Are these tiny letters here? Lets see, F-A-R-O if me eyes are nae failin me."

Rath looked at her. "Is that him?" She nodded once and then turned and walked quickly out of the room, unable to stop the tears any longer.

Rhudd handed the figure to Rath. "Must want you to have it as a good luck token in the field, eh my friend?"

It pulsed again as Rath put it in his pocket and picked up his ale. "Aye Lord Rhudd, some kind of luck anyway." He sipped his ale absently, eyes lost in the distance.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

Rathskellar
Marshal

Return to The Lord's Arse