C'mon, don't vote down the throne speech...

Off topic forum for Warlord Central. Anything goes, so watch your step!

C'mon, don't vote down the throne speech...

Postby Eraedan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:06 pm

If the Liberals vote down the throne speech, there will likely be an election called, and that means no job for me because all legislation, etc., gets halted, which means the Senate doesn't sit. If the Senate doesn't sit, I don't work. So cross yer fingers for me that the Liberals don't vote it down...

--> What I'm talkin' about <--

Some stuff from another article:

Though normally just a broad outline of government intent, a speech from the throne could lead to an election if it is amended in a significant way by the opposition during a subsequent vote.

"The Liberals are going to try to be clear about their position on one side, but trying to avoid provoking an election at the same time," said Comartin. "They are going to be going over that speech with a fine tooth comb."

The Bloc and NDP have promised to vote against the speech through amendments, which means the Liberal party could force an election if enough Liberal MPs also support amendments."
"People also like whores." -- Ennick
"That can't be right, simply due to the fact that... well.... math is bad." -- Rhudd
*cringes in a corner as the Sphincter Of Tomorrow begins to pulse and then dilate, sending Sunday Spiders and Yesteryear Punters scurrying for the shadows of the evening as the fresh morning manure splatters down upon the garden of hope* -- Rathskellar
Eraedan
Sergeant of the Guard
Sergeant of the Guard

Re: C'mon, don't vote down the throne speech...

Postby Wraili » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:55 am

Canadian politics confuse me.

As a matter of fact, there is a great deal about Canada that confuses me.

The next story in the paper: Greasy Chip Butty Daze
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Comment/2007/10/10/4563777-sun.html
Wraili
Enlistee
Enlistee

Postby Rathskellar » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:27 am

If you guys weren't so freakin weird up there, I consider living there because its beautiful.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

"I don't know if I should ban you or throw up." Sarsin

Dead Camel Found Near Swedish Highway
Rathskellar
Marshal

Postby Eraedan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 am

Canadian politics aren't all that confusing. We're just able to call elections whenever we want because we're still a democracy. :twisted: Kiddin'.

Seriously, though, basically what's happened is that the Conservatives have a minority government, so they have, say, 30% of the seats in Parliament whereas the other four parties each have less but combined have more (obviously). This means that the other parties can band together and do what's called a vote of no-confidence. Ever seen Star Wars: Episode I where the queen does that in the Galactic Senate? Same deal. Because it's a minority government, it is possible for another election to be called because a minority government indicates that a given party doesn't have the full support of the Canadian people (which is the truth anyway, regardless of the party or if it's majority or minority).

The speech from the throne is one of such times when a minority government can be voted against and a new election forced. This is because the speech essentially outlines the governing party's agenda, and if the Opposition party and the rest of the MPs think it's crap, they'll toss it down. While it can cause headaches, I think it's better than one person being able to say "Ummm... no, we'll do it my way regardless of the fact that 90% of the government wishes it done another way. Screw you, body of elected representatives!"

Example of no-confidence vote:

Liberals lose confidence of the House

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 | 8:48 AM ET
CBC News

Canadian voters will be heading to the polls, likely sometime in January, after the opposition brought down the minority government in a no-confidence vote Monday evening.

The motion passed easily in a 171 to 133 vote, triggering an election campaign one year and five months after Canadians last went to the polls.

"Let's get started, time's a wasting," a boisterous Martin told his supporters after the motion passed. "C'mon, we've got a campaign to run."

As the votes were counted, parliamentarians stood to applaud MPs who will not run in the coming election.

Oh and Wraili... that other article was about Abbey Road in England. It was a commentary piece, I believe. No clue about that title, either.
"That can't be right, simply due to the fact that... well.... math is bad." -- Rhudd
*cringes in a corner as the Sphincter Of Tomorrow begins to pulse and then dilate, sending Sunday Spiders and Yesteryear Punters scurrying for the shadows of the evening as the fresh morning manure splatters down upon the garden of hope* -- Rathskellar
Eraedan
Sergeant of the Guard
Sergeant of the Guard

Postby Rathskellar » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:18 pm

I think the Israelis have a similiar setup.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

Rathskellar
Marshal

Postby Eraedan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:36 pm

If so, they stole it from us. Buncha usurpers.
Eraedan
Sergeant of the Guard
Sergeant of the Guard

Postby Bashir » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:33 pm

Rathskellar wrote:If you guys weren't so freakin weird up there, I consider living there because its beautiful.

Before I got married, I was tempted to move up there. Met some of the nicest girls in the world up there. The fact that 3 of em were redheads had almost nothing to do with it.
Comal Bright Wizard
Bashir Witch Hunter
Belgae Engineer
Bashir
Guard
Guard

Postby Rathskellar » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:51 am

If so, they stole it from us. Buncha usurpers.

Yeah, its not like they've been around as long as you guys or anything.
Lord Darkbow
Scourge of Mount Collory
Bane of Yggdra Forest

Rathskellar
Marshal

Postby Eraedan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:10 am

:?:

1867 was when the British North America Act was signed, making Canada a country. 1948 for Israel. Well, the modern state of Israel anyway.
Eraedan
Sergeant of the Guard
Sergeant of the Guard

Postby Eraedan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:14 am

Phew. Throne speech by the Conservatives was "soft-pedal'd", making the NDP and Bloc Quebecois look like dorks for having said they were going to vote it down weeks prior to the speech actually taking place. Liberals, their party down in the polls and in a bit of a mess, were completely screwed and couldn't vote it down without risking the Conservatives getting a majority government.

Summary: I'm all set for work!

Also going apartment hunting this afternoon. Woohooo!
Eraedan
Sergeant of the Guard
Sergeant of the Guard

Return to The Insanity Pit